Any tips for effective excersise - Page 4 - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2010, 10:03 PM   #31 (permalink)

Aye it wasnt something i expected and it was kinda gross. Tho it is the thought that counts. Thankfully im about to take a shower and wash the newt off me. HEHE
mordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2010, 10:08 PM   #32 (permalink)

you can certainly love and even spoil your dog and still be pack leader.
every time you tell your dog to sit you are reinforcing your leadership.I think dogs respond well to frequent communication.I dont teach my dogs alot of tricks or specific commands, but they know they have to sit still and wait while i put their food down before they can run over to eat. they know they can sleep in the bed with me, but they also know that if i tell them to get off the bed they better darn well do it.when i want to cuddle them i get down on the floor and make them come to me.all these things are reminders to them that it is my pack,I am in charge and I make the rules and that it is a good thing.they are still spoiled rotten.
dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:45 PM   #33 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ebai

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordis View Post
I guess i dont understand the treat me like a dog thing, and dont be a playmate, be my pack leader. When i read those words this is what i see, "dont love on you dog, treat him as tool to be used and only give him sparing reward and affection".
Being a "pack leader" doesn't mean tyrannizing your dog... it isn't only being sparing with reward and affection either... its more like, giving him/her limitations. For example, I'm sure my dog is just as happy chewing on his toys only, instead of running around the house chewing on everything he can his paws on. Being sparing with reward and affection means to reserve for the right moments. So in theory, the more time you spend with your dog in training/activities, the more reward and affection he receives, right?

Though, my dog is happiest when he's outside. No amount of reward or heaving petting can match the endorphin hormone producing power of a brisk 30 minute jog. ha ha

Last edited by ebai; 05-14-2010 at 04:47 PM.
ebai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:33 PM   #34 (permalink)

Well, is it possible for you to take him for a walk for at least an hour?! You see, 15 minutes is really not enough...

Do you keep him on a leash all the time while you're out? Because if you don't, then it doesn't matter how fast you walk - he'll probably trot all around and give himself enough of exercise. If you have him leashed, a flexi and you walking a bit faster should do.
It would be really great if you could go hiking with him or if he could swim somewhere - swimming is the best exercise for animals and humans because every muscle in your body is working while you're at it.
Of course, the best would be if you could let him play with other dogs, that's how a dog can lose the most of it's energy - running, wrestling, playing... If not, then you play with him - throw him a ball, make him pull something, a rug or a rope...

Here's what my dog gets - 2 walks every day, about 45 minutes in the morning (mostly only us but if we find a dog who wants to play, that's great) and an hour, an hour and half in the evening at a local park. This second walk is reserved for him playing with other dogs that gather there. On weekends it's mostly hiking, going for long walks in the fields or lots of water fun... I think it makes him happy...
totti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:43 PM   #35 (permalink)

Totti, sadly there are no dog parks near where i live. I have no idea where the nearest one is. I would love to let him roam around, I know that he will run around and get hit... Damnit if i only had a few more acres and it wouldnt be a problem.
mordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:23 PM   #36 (permalink)

When we got Beamer, he was easily 15 or more pounds overweight. He couldn't even reach around to clean himself, if that's any indication.

After 2 months, of not treats except veggies, strict on the amount of food and 1 40 minute brisk walk a day he is now only a few pounds away from his vet recommended weight!

My kids also love to throw a ball for him inside a few times a day.

If I can, I take him for more walks, I aim for 2 a day, 30min in the morning and 40-60 min in the evening.

I recommend a backpack, if you aren't able to walk him as long as he needs. Weight the pack, and it can make a 30 min walk have the same physical effect as a 60 min walk.

Good luck! I know I got Beamer partly because I needed to exercise, and having a dog for company at 6am for a walk beats the heck out of going alone!!!
Beamer's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:22 PM   #37 (permalink)

I'm not a fan of backpacks for Beagles. Beags are prone to spinal problems, and if you have a dog (like my Oprah) who is sporting a few extra pounds already, adding weight to the spine just isn't the best idea (in my humble opinion).
Old 06-14-2010, 06:32 PM   #38 (permalink)

Yes, as far as the backpack is concerned, I would consult a vet before trying it. It was just an idea.

I never used one for Beam, honestly, all it took was a brisk walk (fast enough that I felt a bit of burn! good exercise for me too!! lol) for at least 40 min once a day. Even if it means I have to get up at 5:30 to do it when my husband is on midnights and I have to get up with the kids at 6:30. That's all it took, he shed the weight, looked younger, became more playful and, well, happier.
Beamer's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:49 AM   #39 (permalink)

I don't fear time - I evaluate range - Sophie and I stroll at least a number of kilometers every day. Also, my little girl operates monitor, and she and Sophie run together.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #40 (permalink)

Default Any tips for effective excersise

Aston Martin goes on several walks a week & he does wear a backpack with only a couple of things in it (my car keys, poop bags, license, etc.). When we don't walk, he does agility in the back yard or does figure 8's as fast as he can go (he really loves to run)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
shelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement