dew claws - Page 2 - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2009, 12:21 AM   #11 (permalink)

Default Re: dew claws

Sadie comes from the finest puppy mill stock, and has her dew claws. Bebe came from a show breeder and her's were removed at some point.
Back when we were doing our greyhound thing, some of them had them and some didn't. Someone told me it depended on the dog's form. On some dogs the dew claws would cut the outsides of the ankles (rear legs) as they ran. Then they would remove them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2009, 11:54 AM   #12 (permalink)

A lot of breeders will remove them since it's an easy snip-snip when they're young. Our breeder didn't and it cost us an extra $200-$300 to have them removed at the same time he was neutered. Which also made the healing take longer and he had to wear a cone for 2 weeks.

Facebook
Dogbook

Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

I asked our vet about having Sadie's removed when she was spayed at age 4. She said it would be like a human being having their thumbs surgically removed. She didn't recommend it for an adult dog. If they do it when they are newborn it is easier on them.
Mom of 2 Beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Brien & Bodie
A lot of breeders will remove them since it's an easy snip-snip when they're young. Our breeder didn't and it cost us an extra $200-$300 to have them removed at the same time he was neutered. Which also made the healing take longer and he had to wear a cone for 2 weeks.
Brien it costs $6 per pup if it is done shortly after birth. Pathetic isn't it?
Old 06-11-2009, 12:20 PM   #15 (permalink)

from what I have read about dew claws most show breeders will remove these claws knowing what will happen If they are not removed. & as a puppy they are nothing mote than skin on the paw so it does not hurt to have them removed georgia had her's removed

kathy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #16 (permalink)

Hmmm...Snoop doesn't have rear but has front... Any reason to remove rear and not front...wonder if lends any clue to what type of previous owner he had or about the breeder if in fact he ever came from one
Snoop.Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroline View Post
A quick question: I got Tucker from a breeder and I knew that his dew claws were removed. However one of the claws was not removed fully and has grown back a tad bit. I am to understand this is a normal practice with breeders but my boyfriend seems to think that maybe we got Tucker from a bad breeder because of his dew claws being removed. So what is everyone's perspective on dew claws and their removal? Thanks!
If there is nothing medically wrong with t then leave it alone. They should never be removed unless a medical issue.
Surgery can seriously hinder the body's ability to recover Dr. Dobias Healing Solutions
If you are a dog or cat owner, I urge you to think twice before you get an unnecessary surgery done. Not only it results in unnecessary suffering but every chinese medicine practitioner will tell you that removing body parts has dear consequences. Plus, how would you feel if someone cut off your ears? One of the most brutal surgeries that should be outlawed is ear cropping and declawing in cats. However even tail docking or dewclaw removal can cause problems. Did you know that the removal of the foreleg dewclaws in dogs also removes a very important acupuncture point that is connected to the function of the immune system?
Attached Thumbnails
dew claws-dewclaws.png  
Prevention is Kinder then Destruction. Spay and Neuter. BE EDUCATED. If you breed, breed RESPONSIBLY 8,109 homeless beagles on Petfinder right now. Why are their breeders not stepping up? http://www.wonderpuppy.net/1breeding.php
Research, All I can do is open new doors for you to explore. Act and buy responsibly, your choice is the future of the breed. http://www.learntobreed.com/

New Vaccine standards! Miss Bones 2002-2010
brandypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement