Diarrhea and anal glands - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2009, 03:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Diarrhea and anal glands

Last week Shiloh had really bad diarrhea for a couple of days, on Friday and Saturday. Saturday's was pretty bloody, which was scary!! Monday I took her to the vet--of course, as often happens, by that time she was through having diarrhea. The vet examined a stool sample and found a little infection. When I told him she'd been scooting, he said that her anal glands likely needed to be expressed. We haven't had to do that in a while, and I hadn't even thought of it! When he expressed her glands there was a lot of infection, and the procedure seemed to hurt her more than usual, poor baby. The vet said that he thinks the infected anal glands had caused the diarrhea. It may sound strange, but that was a relief. I was so afraid that the diarrhea was somehow connected to her cancer, especially when the blood appeared!! Has anyone else had a problem with infected anal glands that caused diarrhea? (Uh, in your dogs, I mean. )
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2009, 04:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to araine
Default Re: Diarrhea and anal glands

I have never had this problem, but I have noticed Cassidy scooting lately....hmmm
araine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Sephly

luckily never had a problem with glands but i hope your beagle feels better soon.
Sephly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My first beagle had horribly infected anal glands - the smell, scooting, and runny poo was awful. I had no idea back then about the anal glands - wow was it gross! He even had to take antibiotics. Now with Molly I know the signs and get her to the vet for cleaning even if I think she needs it.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Panzer was doing that in addition to everything else. I swear he's got a secret wish to bankrupt me lately! The vet told me that diarrhea and the scoots commonly go together sometimes. I didn't really ask for details for obvious reasons. I did learn how to express the glands myself.....and as gross as it is, he's a little happier with me doing it than them. Diarrhea should stop after a day or two, so I'm told.
panzerismybeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

No, but it brings up a good question. How often should you express the anal glands?

Facebook
Dogbook

Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

The way my vet explained it to me, is they typically shouldn't need to be done. It's supposed to occur naturally when they go potty. Sometimes, they have trouble doing it on their own, and it just depends on the animal. My parents used to have a chow who always had a problem and they had to do her's about once a week or so to keep them from getting impacted. Most of the time, it shouldn't be anywhere near that often, if at all.
panzerismybeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Maggie has been my only dog with anal gland problems. She began having problems during puppyhood and they worsened with age; she had her surgery to remove them just over a year ago, and she's been so much healthier since then.

Anal glands don't bother all dogs; they are similiar to a skunk's scent glands, and hold the dog's personal scent; when the dog has a bowel movement, the glands are supposed to empty (which is why one dog can identify another's territory). Sometimes they just don't work as well as their supposed to, and when the glands don't empty, it begins a nasty cycle of problems.

I wish none of our dogs had to endure these problems, since at the very least it's uncomfortable or at the very worst can make them very very sick. I learned to express Maggie's glands in the tub, but it wasn't fun (very smelly)but many people prefer to go the vet or groomer to have it done.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Sephly

Is shiloh doing any better now?
Sephly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:45 AM   #10 (permalink)

Sorry not to get back here sooner. Yes, Shiloh's doing better now, thanks. The antibiotics seems to have helped--no more diarrhea!! Good to know other people's dogs have had the butt scootin' boogie accompanied by diarrhea. Shiloh's gland have had to be expressed many times over the years, but she's never gotten diarrhea, and it's never seemed to hurt her as much when they were expressed. Guess they'd never gotten infected before. I think if she didn't have so many other health things going on I'd consider having her glands removed to make sure that didn't happen to her again. But I guess at this point, with the cancer and all, anal glands are the least of our problems.
Advertisement