Can A Beagle Stay Outside In Winter? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2008, 09:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Can A Beagle Stay Outside In Winter?

I have always had Malamutes and just put my last one down in May. I now have Jack - a rescue Beagle who lived on a six ft chain outside 24/7.

I plan on getting a second dog before winter and it will probably be a northern breed - I'm thinking about a Berner even with all their health issues. I really want a Tebetan Mastiff (see photos) but not going to happen.

So, question. Where my dogs are concerned price is not an issue. Can a Beagle be comfortable and HAPPY being outside during the day perhaps three days a week while I work. I would get the best of insulated dog houses, etc. but WILL NOT DO IT if he won't be safe and comfortable - I live in Michigan. I would NEVER leave them outside overnight. They stay with me when I'm home.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Can A Beagle Stay Outside In Winter?-793.jpg   Can A Beagle Stay Outside In Winter?-794.jpg   Can A Beagle Stay Outside In Winter?-795.jpg   Can A Beagle Stay Outside In Winter?-796.jpg  
Makaella's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2008, 10:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: Can A Beagle Stay Outside In Winter?

I don't know how Jack would respond to being outside in the cold. I live in Florida, so I can't relate to cold weather living. As far as breeds, I like the appearance of the Berner better than the Tibetan Mastiff. I don't know about health issues though. The Mastiff looks like a high maintenance dog! That would be a lot of fur to take care of.
jenn1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 10:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

My beagles are all inside dogs, but they love the snow and will play in it for hours - no matter how cold it is. I wouldn't see a problem with having them outside during the day <span style="text-decoration: underline">if</span> they're provided adequate shelter and a warm place to get out of the weather. Many hunters in the eastern states leave their dogs outside year-round. Beagles are pretty hardy little dogs! I love the Bernese Mountain Dogs - one of the obedience school instructors in Pullman breeds, raises and shows Bernese. They're beautiful dogs, I don't know much about their health issues though. Will have to research that.
beaglesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 10:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for your thoughts! Yes, Bernese are riddled with disease sadly because the breed got out of control. The agerage life span is only 7 years. 50% nof Berner deaths are from cancer alone and there are several other serious health issues. But they are such a loving anb beautiful dog. But like many northern breeds (and Beegs) can be willful.

And.....nothing blows more coat than a Mal!!! Just kidding, I suppose a few do...
Old 07-04-2008, 02:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
bob
Banned

My Bagel has a dog house and is outside whenever I'm at work. It is safe dry and has an old sleeping bag he can rest on or snuggle in but it seldom gets that much below freezing maybe 18 degrees Fahrenheit when he first goes out in the Morning. Playing in the snow he gets cold after about 30 minutes. He;s been wintering and summering usually not much of 115 degrees fahrenheit for the lse 10 winters and 11 summers with no complaints. If it much colder, add 100 watt light bulb to his doggie house.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 02:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

I don't know how cold it gets where you are but during the day my Beagle stays out when I'm out and is happy that way (she could stay in if she preferred). She has an insulated kennel and in mid-winter when it's frosty, before I leave for work I wrap a hot water bottle in a towel and put it in there.
beaglina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

It can get quite cold here in Michigan though, as in many areas, the last few winters haven't been as bad. But it can get to zero degrees or even -5 or so and with the wind chill it's been -30 degrees - but that is rare now. For us, we get a lot of snow - relatively. We average 70 a season but last winter had 110.

The good thing is I'm hoping to go to work for my vet soon and they allow you to bring your dogs to work if they're not full so on really bad days I could do that...
Old 07-05-2008, 08:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I would say if they have to be outside, that they have a kennel run area with a warm enclosed dog house which would be safe from cold winds. I always have my dogs indoors, unless they are out for a walk or potty, but I am sure with the proper preparation, a beagle can be kept outside safely.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted By: beaglemom
And.....nothing blows more coat than a Mal!!! Just kidding, I suppose a few do...
Beaglemom, everytime I'm brushing Shiloh and watching the fur fly, I remember my neighbor who had a Siberian Husky. Several times a week I would see her sitting on the front porch, trying to get another clog of Husky fur out of her vacuum cleaner! I imagine Malamutes are much the same. But they are beautiful dogs, as are Bernese Mtn. Dogs. What a shame they are so short-lived; that has to be heartbreaking.
I think if Jack had company, and a safe place to be out of the weather, he would be okay outside during the day. I'm sure you'll take good care of him (them) and they'll be well-provided for. The only thing I'd caution about is leaving him outside during winter days. We lived in Grand Rapids for 8 years, and I well remember how brutally cold a Michigan winter can be, even in daytime! And beag coats are pretty short.
Advertisement