Do Beagles start to "fill out" after a certain age - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2008, 11:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Do Beagles start to fill out after a certain age

My Java is still pretty lean and seems to be in decent shape with all the exercise he gets. I've seen beagles with more barrel shaped bodies and was wondering if this normally comes with maturity or is it typically the product of over-feeding? It's kinda hard to determine how much to feed him since he's always in the mood to eat
He's kinda got that greyhound leanness to him right now, but i'm wondering if he's supposed to be thicker? I know in the grand scheme of things, as long as he's healthy, how he looks only appeals to my own vanity.
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2008, 12:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: Do Beagles start to fill out after a certain age

Chloe is very different from other Beagles too. She is very slim, however, according to the vet is not underweight and has good muscle tone. I was told that she might fill out after she finishes growing, but that happened at around 11 months, and she is now 16 months old, and still looks like a model.

Beagles look different from one another, but somehow still manage to look like Beagles....
eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
bob
Banned

Some beagles are long and lean critters with slender features and some are stout robust barrel chested brutes. The key is to keep then the way they were born to be. He's is supposed to be healthy, have good muscle tone, and not have excess pounds. Depending on individual body types within the breed one 15 could be that and only 18 lbs and another 33 or 35 pounds. Beagles don't stop growing when reach 10 or 11 months, they just stop getting taller. He may fill out some more till he is an adult at about 22 months.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Daisy is a long thing herself. I was wondering the same thing
DaisysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted By: bobBeagles don't stop growing when reach 10 or 11 months, they just stop getting taller.
I stand corrected, Bob. Actually meant that, but Chloe didn't even changed a bit since she was almost a year old..... I don't see how she will fill out
eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Duke is 15 months and has the long, lean body shape. Like Bob said, some have different shapes than others, just like us humans.

I had also always thought they stopped getting taller by a year, but just within the past month, 3 people have commented on how Duke has grown. We even noticed a few weeks back when we came home from 3 days out of town. I pulled out the tape measurer and sure enough, about 1/2 height gain at 14 months.

On my labs, Cassie has always had a barrel shape and Roscoe was always lean. Only after Roscoe was unable to run because of his blindness at 8 years old did he finally fill out some, and even then, he was still at a healthy weight and never had the barrel shape. I would imagine it will be the same for Duke.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Jersey stopped growing at about a year (maybe a little younger) but kept filling out until she was about 18-20 months. She's got a big barrel chest which makes her look fat even though she's still got a waistline and her ribs are easy to feel.
jenn1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
jft

Angel was always long and thin until she was about 3, she then started gaining weight and does so now easily....too easily.
We really have to watch her food intake and excercise. During the winter gains more than she should. Since it is so cold here during the winter, she gets less exercise. She has asthma and cannot be out in the cold for too long or she has an attack so walks are short for her. She ususally takes it all back off during the summer months.

She is fondly known as sausage dog during the winter months.
jft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the input, folks. I guess I was curious as to whether it is ever too young to start watching what our beagles eat. For the most part, I refrain from giving Java treats all the time, but with training becoming more and more of a priority with me now, I wanted to reward him without ruining his girlish figure. I think I will try healthier snack alternatives that I've read about on this forum:
Carrots, string beans, ice cubes...
Are there any other suggestions out there?

Old 06-26-2008, 10:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

When I took JoJo to obedience classes, the instructor told us to use string cheese as training treats - you can slice them into very thin slices - same with hot dogs - you don't want to give them too many treats, but for training that works well - it's more the idea of the treat than the actual quantity of the treat. The cheese and hot dogs can be sliced VERY thin. Another thing I have used is .... Cheerios. When I tried clicker training years ago, the information I had suggested cheerios - they love them - and again, it's the idea, not the size. You can also use slices of carrots - my pack loves carrots, but heck, my pack loves anything that doesn't eat them first. You're wise to be concerned. Beagles are chowhounds and gain weight easily. Right now I have only one chubby beagle - and that is Lottie, who came to me with a weight problem. She's a tiny little girl - very short - we're working on getting her trimmer. Usually mine fill out and gain more after they've been spayed/neutered.
beaglesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement