Anal Gland Question - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2008, 09:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Anal Gland Question

What does the anal gland discharge look like?
Can it be kind of goopy (like clear snot) and/or have a yellow tint to it?

Does it smell like butt?

We were sitting on the couch watching NCIS when Abby got up and twirled herself around and I felt a wet spot on the couch and noticed another one that she started licking at. They stunk horribly!

I looked to see where it came from and I couldn't tell. Neither part looks infected, irritated, or anything else.

Should I call her vet tomorrow? She's acting fine, and has been fine all day today. Though she did seem uneasy right after this happened.

It got on my arm and on my leg, I've already taken a shower and it still smells I read online that alcohol will help remove the smell so I'm going to try that. Luckily we had a couch cover on and that's in the washer now.

Her area still smells too.

And no, she hasn't been scooting, licking her butt incessantly.
BeagleBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2008, 09:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: Anal Gland Question

It could be a latent UTI. Chloe had it, it was clear gooey discharge. Left wet spots too. If she is not bothered with it, I would let it go and keep an eye.
If it's her glands, she will try to rub her butt on the floor.
eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Did the discharge stink?
Old 05-20-2008, 10:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

not that I remember, and I think I sniffed it to see if it's pee.

Oh god, I'm turning into a Beagle

Has she ever needed her glands expressed?
eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Jamie, I have to squeeze Ginger twice a month because her anal glands do not express themselves as they should. The stuff STAAANNNKKKSSSS!!!!!!! WHOOOOOO! lol... so we do it outside with latex gloves. Bailey also leaks as Abby did, so he is only allowed on his chair. Just another day of Beagle life!!

It seems as though Abby may have had a little discharge from her Anal Glands. Like Chloe's Mom mentioned, if it causes discomfort, she will scoot.

Matthew: Owned by Chloe, Bailey, Gabby, and Jake.
threedognight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Yeah, this was NOT pee and it had a really noticeable, really bad odor to it. That's really the only reason I think it was anal gland.

No, she has never had to have her anal glands expressed.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

So Matthew does this sound like an anal gland thing to you?

This is the first time this has ever happened, do you think it will happen again?

I told Judy that very few things gross me out. Part of my criminal justice course was looking at brains splattered on walls, fatal automobile accidents, dismemberment and other atrocities of human nature, as well as blood, baby puke, diarrhea, stitches, child birth...you name it, and I don't even bat an eye...but OMG this smell....aaaaaaccccccccccccccck!
Old 05-20-2008, 10:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Jersey had a latent UTI once, and while the description of the fluids is the same, the stink is not. I've had the unfortunate pleasure of having both Amber and Jersey release their anal glands on me. To me, that's what sounds like happened with Abby. If you took a shower and the smell is still there, it's from her anal glands. The smell is unmistakable. Just because she released her glands, it doesn't mean that there is something wrong. They may have just been full and ready to go. Of all the times it's happened to me (4 so far), there were never any further issues. It usually happened right after they came in from going potty. Like pooping loosened them and it just took some time for them to release. I offer you my condolences. LOL!
jenn1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Thanks Jen, that makes me feel better!

Well far as going potty...she had signaled to go out but we were in the middle of a thunderstorm so she didn't get to go. Think that could have contributed to her releasing where she did?
Old 05-20-2008, 10:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

I've had it happen to me too. It stinks to high heaven. Nothing takes that odor away real quick. It was just anal glands emptying.

I would just keep an eye on Abby though just to make sure.

With mine it's not a reoccuring thing though. Every once in a great while with 4 dogs.

Once it happened in the car because by accident I shut my Saint Bernards tail in the door. I left the car windows open for a week rain or shine it didn't matter. But the smell eventually went away.
Advertisement