Best age to spay? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2008, 01:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
deb

Default Best age to spay?

I am wondering what your thoughts on the proper time for spay should be.

I was always told that younger puppies recover faster and have fewer surgical and post-surgical complications than their older counterparts. As there is very little to no body fat to contend with, the incision is smaller, surgery time is reduced and recovery time is very short.

On the other hand, I have heard to wait six months, or even later. Doing so, decreases the risk of mammary tumor by doing it before her first heat, and you increase risk of ligament injury and incontinence by doing it on a very young female.

I have also heard that the whole cancer risk increase at six months old is completely false.

So when is the best time to ensure proper growth, least likely side effects from horomones and ease of recovery?
deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2008, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Best age to spay?

All I can tell you is that MY vet won't spay or neuter before about 5 months old. I normally let my girls have their first heat cycle before spaying (at around 6 months) - tho I didn't let Chloe ever go into heat first, she was very small, and at that time Romeo was intact - and he was more than twice her size. Many rescues and shelters spay puppies as young as 2-3 months old - my vet refuses to do that - he says it's too young - and it's very difficult to judge the right amount of anesthetic to give them and they often don't wake up. With shelters there are no owners to care if they don't wake up. My boys are usually neutered about 4-5 months old - and they recover quickly (the girls do too). I have ten beagles - and, except for the one "special breeding pair", and two younger females who may be bred in the future, ALL are spayed or neutered, as has every dog I've had in my almost 70 years!
beaglesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Usually it's best to spay before the her first heat. THIS is what reduces the rist for cancer, and not the age. Some pups get their first heat at 9 and 10 months old, so the age is less relevant.
However, since they can get their first "period" at 6 months of age, it is recommended to spay by 6 months old. I've heard of people who spayed their dog at 4 months even. I think it's a weight issue too...
eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
deb

I guess this is why I am confused.

I am hearing let her have her first cycle and also hearing wait until after her first cycle.

I certainly don't want an "accidental" litter of puppies, which makes me want to spay before. But I want to ensure that she is mature enough to not have complcations during surgery.

I know this may seem weird to worry over, but all my previous dogs were already spayed/neutered prior to me rescuing them.

I just want to do what is best for her and her future. I love her so much, that I don't know what I would do if something went wrong during her surgery.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

I hear from all the vets these days that if you do it, do it BEFORE her first cycle.
Another thing is, and I don't know if it's true or not: If the dog is spayed before her first cycle, she is less prone to gain more weight... again - not sure if it's true. The only "evidence" I have is that Chloe was spayed "before" and she is still in tip-top shape, and Abby (her pal) was spayed "after" and has gained about 10 lb since. No change in diet or exercise.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Abby was spayed in October 2006, when she was about a year and a half old. .

She had her first heat in April 2006 and was coming up on her second...I debated having her spayed so I put it off. Her first heat was hard on her and I didn't want her to have to go through another one so she went early October for spay.
BeagleBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
deb

When you say that Abby's first heat was hard on her, what do you mean? *concerned look*
Old 03-13-2008, 05:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

In the UK they generaly don't like to spay until 3 months after the first season but times might have changed since I last had a bitch spayed.

The reason for this is two fold. One because after the first season all the plumbing, urinary tract etc is fully mature and there is less risk of incontinence later on. And two because if you let her have a season then wait 3 months then you can be fairly certain that it is finished and she is not just about to go into season again. Performing the surgery on a bitch that is in season is more complicated with increased risks so I'm told.

Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Every vet I've ever had suggested spaying at about 6 months. My Li'l Girl was a year or more old when I adopted her, and had had puppies. For some reason, she had a harder time recovering from the spay than any of my other females. It could be that she hadn't had enough time to get built up with good nutrition, etc., before the spay since I had to get it done within a short time of adopting her.
Sandyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Jennifer, There is no guarantee.... Abby (Chloe's pal) was spayed about 3.5 months after her first cycle, and during the surgery the vet called her owners and told them that she was still in heat and also charged a little extra for the procedure (but that's another issue). She recuperated just fine from it , but it's highly unadvisable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement