How much do you feed your beagle? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2008, 02:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default How much do you feed your beagle?

I am so new at this, so please don't take my head off for being ignorant, but I honestly have no clue on earth how much my new little girl should eat at a meal! She's just turned two, and when we got her a month ago she was classed obese by the vet. She's definitely lost some weight just from having our six children run around chasing her, not to mention my husband getting down on all fours for the nightly play wrestle with her, lol. Anyway, I just thought I'd ask what the rest of you do for feeding. Here's what I've been doing so far:

Morning and Evening - a little less than 1/2 cup dry food (Nutro Herring & Potato) mixed with about 1/2 cup of homemade doggy stew (salmon, turkey, spinach, yam, zucchini, broccoli, carrots, and rice). She *devours* it in a heartbeat, and immediately begs for more.

Treats are few and far between and are pretty much limited to 97% fat free duck jerkey and mini carrot sticks, with the occasional cracker dropped by the baby.

Does this sound alright, or should I do a little adjusting, do you think?
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2008, 09:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: How much do you feed your beagle?

I think it all depends on the food quality/brand and her goal weight.
Look at the bag, and from knowing her goal weight, that should be her daily portion of food. You can devide that to 2 meals a day if you like (many of us do). Also, as treats you can give her broccoli, carrotts, stuff like that (no onion!! or chocolate!!).

I think it's outrageous that we haven't seen pictures yet!
eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Maggie gets a half cup of dry food twice daily. I feed her Orijen, Honest Kitchen, and Nature's Variety Raw Instinct. She gets fruit and veggies for treats. When I give her a stuffed Kong I either keep it very low calorie or I cut back on the amount of the meal and fill the Kong with Weruva or Nature's Variety canned food. Maggie has put on some weight this winter but now the the weather has improved a little we are on a better walking schedule and I think she will lose it quickly. I wouldn't worry about the begging. Maggie would eat herself to death if I would let her. She always appears hungry but since she has gained and not lost weight this winter, I know she is not underfed.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

MOST of the "tenpack" gets roughly 1 cup of kibble per day - the exceptions are the ones who are getting a little "hefty" - the kibble is split between two meals - 1/2 cup morning and evening. The smaller ones or the ones who have gained weight, get cut back to about 1/3 cup twice a day until they're a little "trimmer". I don't want them THIN but I don't want them FAT either - I want to keep them healthy - and fat is not healthy. Heaven knows beagles would eat until they "popped" if free-fed. On the rare occasions they do get "human food" mixed with their kibble, I cut back a little on the kibble. There are exceptions to that, too. When I have a pregnant or nursing mom who gets a little "picky" I make "doggie stew" to mix with her kibble since she needs both the extra calories and protein to make healthy puppies and milk. Eleanor is right - a lot depends on the kibble. It takes less of a good quality kibble than of a "grocery store brand". We use a lot of "baby carrots" here as snacks, as well. They all love veggies and fruit. If I fed my brats as much as is recommended they'd all be broader than they are long.
beaglesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

I think it's outrageous that we haven't seen pictures yet! [/quote]

I tried to figure it out and failed, but I'll try again later today, lol. She's a sweetie!
Old 03-02-2008, 12:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Okay, here goes my first attempt to post a picture of Lulu (Tallulah Belle). She turned 2 at the end of January, the day before she joined our clan.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

i give dixie a cup of dry food in the morning and half a cup in the afternoon. I give her afew treats during training but that's it.
madison069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

She is BEAUTIFUL! Here's a picture of my JoJo - their "ticking" is so similar! Tho JoJo has a little more more white on her face. Thank you for sharing her with us! We love pictures! Since I have ten beagles I TRY not to get carried away - but sometimes I do ! I know she'll bring you much as much joy as my babies bring me.
beaglesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Using one of the dog food analysis websites that are posted in another topic in this section, I located this info about the dog food you are currently using: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...t=1583&cat=all .
What I was particularly interested in was the fat percentage and the Nutro you are using has a 10% fat content -- for a dog that has to lose weight, that is high. When my Maggie was overweight, my vet told me that everything she ate had to have no more than 3% fat. You might ask your vet what his/her thoughts are about that. I would recommend that you do some research at the website above and particularly look at the fat percentages and the pros/cons. Then, after you find a few that fit your requirements and hopefully that fall into a higher approval category than the Nutro, check the prices in your area.
I would expect that, if you ask 50 BW members what their favorite dog food is, you'll get 50 answers. Personally, I am a big supporter of Innova products -- I switched to Innova Evo for Maggie several years ago. I priced it at a store here and then found a distributor who sold to individuals -- it is much less expensive that way. He also was able to recommend particular products in the line that met Maggie's special needs.
Thank you for posting the pic of Lulu -- she is really beautiful -- I love her ticking!
judymaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

my breeder said to give a cup in the morning and a cup in the evening. That's 2 cups a day - now reading your posts that seems like alot to me (but yet she's always hungry). I'm feeding her pro-plan. Does anyone else think that's too much??

we've been sniffed!!

Shenniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement