Beagle shedding - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2017, 02:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Beagle shedding

My boy Spud has been shedding a lot as of late and has started to show signs of balding in his torso. Upon looking closely at his skin I found these dark spots that hurt him or irritate him when touched. What are these and what should I do about them? Thanks a bunch!
Attached Thumbnails
Beagle shedding-18301783_10203083543646222_8922049338377175378_n.jpg  
DrDrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2017, 10:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Take him to a vet for a definitive diagnosis and treatment. Don't let it progress. Could be a buried tick or fleas. Can't really tell from pictures. Let us know what the vet says it is.
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 02:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I am not sure what it could be but I would get it checked out. It is shedding time for beagles but the skin shouldn't be uncomfortable.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Shedding should not leave bald spots. Definitely get him to the vet. Hair loss could be a sign of mange - either Demodex, or Sarcoptic.
Natty Boh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 03:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

I had a chat with the vet and she told me that it could be a fungal infection. I was not able to show her what was going on because she was out of town and we couldn't schedule an immediate appointment with the next vet. She recommended Nizoral Shampoo to be used once a week for a month.

I have a theory that it might be his food but we've been feeding him that dog food for awhile now and he has shown no reaction that tips us towards that. He hasn't vomited, has firm stools, and is actually gaining weight. Another theory is that it could be the intense heat (outdoor temps reach up to 36 degrees celsius (96F)).
Old 05-07-2017, 06:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Food can cause skin troubles for sure. When we rescued Vazzle she was in Science Diet food. She smelled and was oily and itchy. We switched her to a better quality food and she looks great.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

Update on him:

I put some mild and hypoallergenic baby powder on him and that seemed to ease the irritation. I'll look into how much he sheds tomorrow and the following days. For now, he's very peaceful.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:55 AM   #8 (permalink)

If it continues to get worse, please don't wait a month to take him to the vet. Yes, it could be fungal. It could be food allergies. It could be most anything. Treating the symptoms, without knowing the cause doesn't make much sense to me. If it is a food allergy and continues on the same food, he ultimately will not get better. Food allergies often affect the skin, with no other signs. I don't know what you are feeding now, but you could try one of the limited ingredient foods - like Wellness Simple. Limited ingredient foods are grain-free. Less ingredients means less to be allergic to. You should select one that has a different protein. For instance, if his current food has chicken for a protein, choose a food that has lamb, fish, or something else. He may have become allergic to something in his current food, or there may have been some change in the formula or manufacturing that has become a problem for him.

I'm not sure I would use baby powder on him. Can your vet prescribe something topical - an ointment that would be soothing. Some contain an anesthesia that would numb the area.

I hope you can get this figured out. Poor baby must be miserable.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty Boh View Post
If it continues to get worse, please don't wait a month to take him to the vet. Yes, it could be fungal. It could be food allergies. It could be most anything. Treating the symptoms, without knowing the cause doesn't make much sense to me. If it is a food allergy and continues on the same food, he ultimately will not get better. Food allergies often affect the skin, with no other signs. I don't know what you are feeding now, but you could try one of the limited ingredient foods - like Wellness Simple. Limited ingredient foods are grain-free. Less ingredients means less to be allergic to. You should select one that has a different protein. For instance, if his current food has chicken for a protein, choose a food that has lamb, fish, or something else. He may have become allergic to something in his current food, or there may have been some change in the formula or manufacturing that has become a problem for him.

I'm not sure I would use baby powder on him. Can your vet prescribe something topical - an ointment that would be soothing. Some contain an anesthesia that would numb the area.

I hope you can get this figured out. Poor baby must be miserable.
Yeah we're just taking temporary fixes for now as the vet near us isn't available yet. I'll be taking him as soon as possible for blood and skin tests.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

That's good. It stinks when something is wrong with our fur babies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement