Possible anal gland issue - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2017, 09:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Possible anal gland issue

Natty Boh is having a 'butt' issue. He had shown no signs of discomfort - no licking, scooting, etc., until yesterday. Yesterday, he started to do both. Juli took him for a walk. On the way home, she saw something run down his leg. By the time he was in the house, what was running down his leg was blood. I cleaned it up and there was a sore next to his anus. I'm thinking anal gland abscess rupture. I have no experience with this.

I cleaned the area and applied prescription antibiotic ointment. (Leftover from Shelby.) It looks better today, than yesterday. He is eating and going to the bathroom. He has a vet appointment tomorrow morning.

Have you ever had anything similar with your dogs? How was it treated? I know, y'all aren't vets and can't see it, but do you think it sounds like the anal gland? No matter, if we are wrong. The vet will tell me tomorrow. lol!
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2017, 03:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I have had a few dogs with anal gland issues. I haven't seen any blood but it really does bother them. Of course scooting could rupture something. The smell is usually nasty. I hope Boh is okay.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Do you ever have his glands expressed? I know it's time for cassie when she leaks a little...try to wipe the anal area with some witch hazel to cleanse the area and reduce any external soreness.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2017, 03:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

We regularly have Rascals' anal glands emptied at the vets. That stuff really stinks and stinks up the house too. One gland they tell us is way in and hard to reach I am glad they do it and I don't have to glove up and do it!
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks all. I'm just keeping it clean and trying to keep him from licking it. I'll let you know how he makes out at the vet tomorrow.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank God you can't post pictures. LOL Hope he is better, never had that happen to Autumn either.
Autumn's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

HAHAHA, Barb! Yeah, first dog I have every owned to have this happen. Went to the vet this morning. Definitely anal gland. Definitely abscessed and ruptured. He is on three oral meds - antibiotic, pain, and anti-inflamatory. He also needs hot compresses on his butt.

He is not eating. Boh is not eating. I have never seen that happen before - EVER!
Old 04-14-2017, 06:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Muddy is now almost 12 and has had anal gland issues since he was 3. We go every 4-6 weeks to get them expressed at the vet. A few years ago, we waited a little too long, hoping to stretch it out and he developed a painful abscess that needed two courses of antibiotics. He was given pain meds that made him sooo constipated he yelped when he tried to poop. It is very stinky and not a pretty sight.

We felt awful so ever since then, we go every 4 weeks..no more than 5. Hopefully this is just a one time thing and not the start of monthly vet visits for him.
Csv321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csv321 View Post
Muddy is now almost 12 and has had anal gland issues since he was 3. We go every 4-6 weeks to get them expressed at the vet. A few years ago, we waited a little too long, hoping to stretch it out and he developed a painful abscess that needed two courses of antibiotics. He was given pain meds that made him sooo constipated he yelped when he tried to poop. It is very stinky and not a pretty sight.

We felt awful so ever since then, we go every 4 weeks..no more than 5. Hopefully this is just a one time thing and not the start of monthly vet visits for him.
Thank you! I hope this is a one time thing too. So sorry poor Muddy has been dealing with this for so long - and you too.

Have you ever applied anything topical for anal sac infections? I was a bit rushed, at the vet, and did not get to ask. He had not prescribed anything topical. Only told me to apply hot compresses. I had ordered some Zymox topical cream. Wondering if it would be OK to apply some.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty Boh View Post
Thank you! I hope this is a one time thing too. So sorry poor Muddy has been dealing with this for so long - and you too.

Have you ever applied anything topical for anal sac infections? I was a bit rushed, at the vet, and did not get to ask. He had not prescribed anything topical. Only told me to apply hot compresses. I had ordered some Zymox topical cream. Wondering if it would be OK to apply some.

Muddy is incredibly sweet and obedient but a strange dog. He likes to be petted on the head and behind the ears but freaks out and screams as you move towards his back end. I don't know if it's because he's traumatized from monthly butt squeezes but he jumps even if you touch the top of his rear end and he can't see it.

So for that reason, we have not been able to try anything topical. From a medical perspective though, if it's infected, I'm not sure topical would add much as the infection started on the inside (at least for us it did) and it's not a very clean area to begin with so unless you can keep it clean, I would want to keep it as dry as possible with the exception of intermittent warm compresses for comfort.

Good luck! I hope he feels better soon!
Csv321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement