Our Beagle World Forums banner

Help needed on water drinking issue

4K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Natty Boh 
#1 ·
My newly adopted (1 week) shelter Beagle is adjusting fine, except for one problem: she won't drink water out of a bowl. I've tried switching different shape bowls, metal bowls, ceramic bowls, with tap water,filtered water, & bottled water, all to no avail. She'll drink a little bit out of my daughter's hand; other than that, I've been adding water to her food so its more like stew, but she licks it all up. Friends advised me to try unsweetened natural apple juice, salt-free chicken broth & unflavored electrolyte liquid, all without success. Other than that, she is eating well, sleeping well, is perky & active during walks, pees & poops ok. She is a little over 20 lbs & is estimated to be about 3-4 years old. She drank out of a bowl for the first 3 days that we had her, since then, she refuses. I would greatly appreciate advice on how to get Skyler to drink. Thanks!

#2 ·
Hmmm, I can't think of a reason she is not drinking especially if she is eating ok. She might be sneaking some here and there when you aren't looking. I rarely see Vazzle drink water but Molly always is. I mix their dinner with warm water so they get hydrated that way too.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies

Thanks, MollysMom & Autumn's Mom! Maybe she is sneaking water, I keep a pretty good eye on her & I've never seen her sneaking a drink, but then again, it wouldn't be sneaking if I caught her at it, right? :)

Yes, thanks, she is very cute! And that photo was from the first day when she didn't know us from Adam & kept looking like she expected to get a smack any second. Now she looks a bit more confident! And she's very petite; people usually think she's only about a year old; we don't know for sure how old she is, but the estimate of the vet was 3-4 years.

#6 ·
We had similar concerns with Marlowe when we got her at 3 years old last November. We never saw her drink water. She would drink water out of our hands but not out of the bowl. She does eat canned food and the vet told us there is quite a bit of water in canned food. We also found her drinking once in a while when she thought we weren't looking. As long as she is peeing and pooping okay she is probably fine.

#8 ·
update on Skyler & not drinking water

Last Thursday Skyler was lethargic & started refusing food, as well as water, so we immediately got a vet appointment. After xrays,hydration,& blood work, the vet concluded that Skyler has "Pseudo-Addington Disease" (which in my imperfect understanding of it is something that dogs can get from having had whipworm.) It acts like Addington Disease, but thankfully, is not. The vet put Skyler on 10 days of Prednisone. We are 3 days into the meds now, and I am thrilled to say Skyler is feeling much better; she's eating like normal, drinking water from a bowl again and is much more lively! We are very, very thankful for our excellent vet & her persistence in finding the right diagnosis for our little girl!

#11 ·
I have to say I am learning so much from all of you!!! You are all so very caring and helpful!!!! Our little beagle is much happier and drinks like a camel!!!! I would also be worried if he didn't drink water but reading up on all this advice, it sounds normal and I believe that maybe once the doggie feels safer, she will begin to drink water? Maybe?

Good luck!!!!! I think this the replies are very sound.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.