Just added a new beagle to our family! (intro & question about sleeping arrangements) - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Just added a new beagle to our family! (intro & question about sleeping arrangements)

We have a new baby, (Daisy) that we brought home 2 weeks ago (@ 7 weeks). She came from an acquaintance of the family that had 2 Beagles (AKC limited registration) and they had puppies before they were spayed/neutered. Both parents were smaller Beagles so we anticipate her being a little gal.

We already have one Beagle (a 16 inch bigger boy named Max) that we adopted when he was about 12 weeks (his previous owner got him from a pet store @ 6 weeks and then kept him locked in a crate from 5 am till 7 pm, she decided to re-home him when her landlord got complaints from the neighbors about him screeching all day). He was overly skinny and sick when we took him in so we had a very rough time the first couple mos with him but he is an awesome, super sweet boy now!

Since Daisy is our first "from scratch" baby we are going through all her milestones and learning along the way. My first (of many I am sure!) question is about sleeping arrangements-

A little back story- When we brought Max home he slept in our room in his own bed next to ours. I tried to put him in ours but he would have an accident nightly, he would just pee the bed (and us) without concern. We realized this was probably from him being taught to soil where he slept at his previous home. It took him a good 8 months to be fully potty trained and not use his bed as a potty spot, but once he was trained he moved into bed with us and loves to burrow under the covers.

As for my question, Daisy is currently in her crate in our room and slept fairly well the first week but once she figured out Max is in the bed she whines and cries herself to sleep (the night before last it was a full 50 minutes before she settled down). I have followed all proper bedtime training etiquette, feed her well before bed, put up water 1-2 hours before, lots of potty breaks and we wear her out playing. It doesn't matter how exhausted she is she will still pop right back up and protest her crate.

It is only at night that she dislikes it, during the day she goes inside to nap and willingly goes in when I run a quick errand (she is never crated more than 1-2 hrs during the day as I stay home with her).

Eventually we plan on letting her sleep with us, I had hoped to potty train her beforehand though. I guess my question is, is it ok to let her sleep with us now or should we continue what we are doing? I am unsure how to "handle this" as it is completely different circumstances than Max, Daisy will not potty where she sleeps and for the most part seems to be learning how to potty outside.

My main concern is doing something the "wrong way" now and setting myself up for more work later (like we had with Max). Any thoughts?

*I've attached a photo of my "babies" because I love showing them off
Attached Thumbnails
Just added a new beagle to our family! (intro & question about sleeping arrangements)-photo.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

You could always let her sleep in a small travel crate and put the crate on the bed with you. That way, you keep up the crate/potty training and don't have to worry about her peeing in the bed.

And they are sooooo cute!
HappyHoney41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Welcome USMCWife, Daisy and Max! It's a pleasure to have you join our group! I honestly, am going through the exact same situation right now. Marley sleeps with me at night, but, Horton is not fully potty trained yet, so I haven't allowed him to. I put him in the utility room and he protests and whines for a bit. But, then gets tired and goes to sleep. I'm in a quandry about what to do right now as well, as I'd like to start letting him sleep with me too.
TXBeagleMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHoney41 View Post
You could always let her sleep in a small travel crate and put the crate on the bed with you. That way, you keep up the crate/potty training and don't have to worry about her peeing in the bed.

And they are sooooo cute!
This is a good idea, we have a smaller plastic travel crate for her now as she is too tiny to go in the smaller metal wire crate we had for Max. I wonder if that would appease her for now and not derail my trying to potty train her.

And thank you!!! That pic was totally unplanned, I was outside in the garage and came in and saw them sitting so cute together so I snagged a pic on my iPhone before they saw me and came running
Old 03-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBeagleMom View Post
Welcome USMCWife, Daisy and Max! It's a pleasure to have you join our group! I honestly, am going through the exact same situation right now. Marley sleeps with me at night, but, Horton is not fully potty trained yet, so I haven't allowed him to. I put him in the utility room and he protests and whines for a bit. But, then gets tired and goes to sleep. I'm in a quandry about what to do right now as well, as I'd like to start letting him sleep with me too.
Thank you! I am glad to join your group, after Max was settled in we knew we had to adopt another Beagle. I only wish I found this community when he was tiny, I probably could have saved myself many headaches by asking other Beagle parents rather than friends with other dog breeds... lol!

With some love and dedication they are such awesome dogs, we love our Beagle babies

My husband suggested we try putting her in the kitchen (2 rooms away) or our laundry room (next to ours) but she still gets up in the middle of the night twice to potty (about every 2-3 hours), I am not sure I'd hear her wake up outside of our room. I suppose as she gets bigger that will become less frequent but for the time being I have been taking her for a "no nonsense" potty break when she wakes up and she was settling back down until recently. Now we restart the same crate protest allover again after each potty break.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcwife1 View Post
Thank you! I am glad to join your group, after Max was settled in we knew we had to adopt another Beagle. I only wish I found this community when he was tiny, I probably could have saved myself many headaches by asking other Beagle parents rather than friends with other dog breeds... lol!

With some love and dedication they are such awesome dogs, we love our Beagle babies

My husband suggested we try putting her in the kitchen (2 rooms away) or our laundry room (next to ours) but she still gets up in the middle of the night twice to potty (about every 2-3 hours), I am not sure I'd hear her wake up outside of our room. I suppose as she gets bigger that will become less frequent but for the time being I have been taking her for a "no nonsense" potty break when she wakes up and she was settling back down until recently. Now we restart the same crate protest allover again after each potty break.
Horton is exactly the same way. I think they feel as if they're being left out. Honestly, I think he'd be happy just snuggling with Marley on the floor. But, I really don't want to risk the chance right now and have him pee all over my room. I would definitely try putting her little crate (they even have soft travel ones that wouldn't be quite as cumbersome and uncomfortable for you and your husband) up on the bed with you and see how she does. Maybe she'll feel more included then. They're so finicky, God bless them!

They definitely are wonderful dogs. I'm so glad Max has a beagle friend now. I wish I had been able to get Horton sooner for Marley, as he's so incredibly happy now that he has a brother. Hope you're able to get this resolved soon! I'm sure My6, Natty, or Cassie might have wonderful suggestions as well!
Old 03-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBeagleMom View Post
They definitely are wonderful dogs. I'm so glad Max has a beagle friend now. I wish I had been able to get Horton sooner for Marley, as he's so incredibly happy now that he has a brother. Hope you're able to get this resolved soon! I'm sure My6, Natty, or Cassie might have wonderful suggestions as well!
We have noticed this too! Max just adores Daisy and seems much more content with her around. He was a happy dog before but now he's over the moon! My husband suggested he needed a friend a few months back but I put it off as I knew I'd be investing most of the time in training her, I wanted to be sure I was ready. I am glad I didn't wait too long, she's totally worth the hard work
Old 03-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcwife1 View Post
We have noticed this too! Max just adores Daisy and seems much more content with her around. He was a happy dog before but now he's over the moon! My husband suggested he needed a friend a few months back but I put it off as I knew I'd be investing most of the time in training her, I wanted to be sure I was ready. I am glad I didn't wait too long, she's totally worth the hard work
Oh definitely! Plus, Max will help wear her out for bedtime! Marley is marvelous at babysitting Horton and wearing him out. He has made my job so much easier! I'm sure Max is the same way with Daisy!
Old 03-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hey all of the above suggestions sound good to me. I believe keeping her in your room is a smart decision because you have a potty routine and I would hate to see her backslide. It stinks hearing them cry out but until she has mastered the potty she needs a strict routine. You have a good grasp on what you are doing and how to do it. Your on the right track. I think the soft sided crate is a interesting idea.
I'm so glad you got a second beagle. I really truly believe they do better in a pack. There is nothing better than a beagle pile on the couch.

One question ??? Does your puppy smell like Fritos? I swear all beagle puppies smell like Fritos to us !!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Welcome USMCWife! I am sure you will enjoy it here! Othe people have given you excellent advice.
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement