Beagles and kids - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question Beagles and kids

One of the reasons we chose a beagle was that they are supposed to be great with kids. We have an 8 year old son and unfortunately we can't let him go anywhere near Berri unless she is in her crate or behind the stair gate as she will just go for his feet or hands, legs or arms.

We think most of this is because she wants to play but is a bit too aggressive/boisterous for him. We are working on getting him to leave the room when she starts (usually 5 mins after he appears) but its upsetting him as well as he wants to be able to stroke her without being bitten.

Is this all just linked to her boisterous puppy/adolescent phase or are there any tips that anyone has?

If Berri escapes upstairs she will immediately wee in his room and I don't know if thats just coincidence or part of the problem.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

The biting's probably just puppy stuff. Is he the only one she does it to?

Our four are all fantastic with my almost-two-year-old granddaughter, even though none of them has been around little kids before. However, we have a puppy here and she is too rough to play with the baby.
Hsaiotei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Go to the toolbar on this forum and click on "Search". Put in the words biting, nipping, bite inhibition and you will find a lot of previous discussion on what to do. I've posted a lot previously on this topic. Also read articles on the internet or books on puppy training. If you are consistent with the training the behavior will stop-

Tell your son it will get better but no tug of war games., don't play with the dog while siting on the floor, give lots of hard chew things. Anyway, if you read as I suggested it will be helpful.
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Things that my kids have found to be effective:

You supervise feeding time, and make Berri sit before receiving food, but have your son be the one that actually puts the bowl down.

Teach your son to say "NO!" once in a loud, very low pitched voice when Berri misbehaves. Then, you both turn your backs and talk to one another, ignoring Berri for a few moments - takes a while and several times, but works.

Have your son be in the room first, and then let the beagle in.

Have your son take Berri to obedience class (under your supervision, of course). A professional will be very helpful.

It will get better.
ljas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

I really have to share that the amount of time the puppy stays with the litter makes so much difference. Our lab is the sweetest girl on earth. But she came home a few days shy of 8 weeks. Some of her litter mates had already gone to their new homes. She did get very nippy for a week or so. But we initialized training her not to nip... at all, EVER. Took maybe 2 weeks of consistent training, and it stopped completely.

Our beagle was with her litter for almost 11 weeks. She played not only with her "brothers and sisters" learning bite inhibition, but also played with the little girl who lives there every day. This baby does not nip at all. I have 5 kids here. She kisses, lets them pet her face, her head, plays, etc.... never even opens her mouth.

If the puppy doesn't have the chance to learn from her mama and litter mates, it's up to us to teach them that nipping is an absolute forbidden behavior. LOTS of information online, and youtube videos to help in this training.

Nothing worked as fast for us as just standing up, crossing our arms, and looking away at the ceiling. Dogs want attention. They learn quick what works and what doesn't. Even my 3 year old knew to just hop up and look at the ceiling if the lab got nippy. He was very intrigual in her learning that it is never ok. And they are BEST FRIENDS now.
Glitter&Grunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all your replies

We have been doing the no and ignoring but she just attacks his feet (luckily he always wears shoes).

We had a great walk this weekend with Berri and Jake playing fantastically together in the woods. There are some motorbike humps made of mud and berri and Jake just ran round and round running up the ramps and jumping off them. No biting and Jake chasing Berri and Berri chasing Jake.

There is hope.

She was 8 weeks when she left her litter and was the first to leave so maybe she didn't learn bite inhibition.

We'll keep trying.