Beagle puppy Size - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Beagle puppy Size

My husband and I lost our 5 year old rescue mutt and were interested in adding a beagle to our crazy household. I had talked to many breeders and was on a wait list for a puppy. Then came November 25th when I got a call from a friend. A man had several beagles and was breeding them like crazy. One of his females died whelping and Animal control was notified. All of his dogs were ceased along with this helpless little 7 week old puppy. His mom was too ill to take care of him so I was able to adopt him right then. All of this mans dogs were AKC registered Beagles and I had my puppy Marvin "DNA'd" to be sure he was 100% Beagle. His DNA came back as being Beagle. He is now 5 months old and I never got to see or meet his parents and he obviously didn't come from a great breeder. He is currently 18lbs and 11inches tall. Can anyone estimate how big Marvin is going to get? We had wanted a smaller Beagle but not sure if that's what I have here.

Here is a photo of him taken today
MarvinBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to wizardeyes

It's hard to predict future size for any dog, especially one taken from a breeding situation like his. It also depends on when he gets his major growth spurts. It's highly unlikely that he will get any bigger that 18 inches, though.
wizardeyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

My dog was about the same as yours at that age. Cassie is now 13 months and is 25 lbs, 15 inches.
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Brynn is 5 months nearly 14 inches and 24lbs. I don't expect him to grow much taller (his sire isn't a huge dog) but he still has plenty of weight to gain.
They are all different though and grow at different rates

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
JaakeTod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for all the replies. I know its tough to estimate. Guess I'm just grasping at straws. My husband has his heart set on a smaller guy but I personally don't care. With so many unknowns with him I'm left to guess.
MarvinBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'd bet he doesn't get too much taller. I have three at or under 11 inches. Now weight....that's a everyday struggle with my beagles.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement