Stubborn Beagle - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Stubborn Beagle

I am SO frustrated today with my beagle. I had him out for a walk and as we were crossing the street he found something, stopped in the middle of the road and would NOT move even though there was a car coming. It's like he loses all sense of hearing. Has this happened to anyone and how do you effectively handle the situation? He does this lots of other times at the side of the road but I don't really know what to do when he's stopped in the middle of the road. And he's too heavy for me to just pick him up and move him.
Puddlypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

I guess their noses overpower everything...and they go deaf...lol. My dog is 25 lbs and I am quite surprised at the weight when I have to pick her up-usually to stop her from something. Maybe bring a water spray bottle or noise maker to get the dog's attention. Also a little flick at the back hind quarters to break the dog's focus... good luck
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Stubborn Beagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddlypoo View Post
I am SO frustrated today with my beagle. I had him out for a walk and as we were crossing the street he found something, stopped in the middle of the road and would NOT move even though there was a car coming. It's like he loses all sense of hearing. Has this happened to anyone and how do you effectively handle the situation? He does this lots of other times at the side of the road but I don't really know what to do when he's stopped in the middle of the road. And he's too heavy for me to just pick him up and move him.
Usually when I have a beagle become a statue I bump them with the side of my shoe. Think of it like poking them with your finger type of bump. Usually that's all I need to startle them to move. I assume you are using a leash. If so, I like to change directions when they freeze also

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by My6beagles View Post
Usually when I have a beagle become a statue I bump them with the side of my shoe. Think of it like poking them with your finger type of bump. Usually that's all I need to startle them to move. I assume you are using a leash. If so, I like to change directions when they freeze also

If they have something in their mouth (usually garbage) do you try and get it out or let them eat it, lol? Sometimes mine will drop it but there are those times, like yesterday when he is dead set on getting whatever it is he has found.
Puddlypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Thank you for*your post!*Very interesting!
Minosovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Welcome to the club. Their sense of smell is thousands of times ours. When they get a sent you don't exist LOL
Sophie's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddlypoo View Post
If they have something in their mouth (usually garbage) do you try and get it out or let them eat it, lol? Sometimes mine will drop it but there are those times, like yesterday when he is dead set on getting whatever it is he has found.
I love "drop it" or "give". I never go anywhere with a dog without some type of treat. I will exchange the yucky thing for a treat. After a few times they get the idea of what you want.

Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

When I have to cross the street with Lucy I try to get her to run. If we walk she will always stop in the middle. I have to do that in parking lots too, usually she won't want to go home so she will brace her feet and not move. If I can get her excited and running or even up to a fast trot, she will move.
Kapoohski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Rufus definitely has those stubborn moments. When he wants to go in a certain direction, and I want to go in another direction, he'll just stop and give me this LOOK haha. It's so funny. And to get him to move is a challenge. But we've been using the Gentle Leader and that has helped quite a bit. Just a small gentle tug on it a few times, and a "Come Rufus" is usually enough to get him going. If i'm crossing the street, i usually do it quickly and he runs right a long side of me. But yeah, he has a stubborn streak for sure. But then he forgets and is merrily sniffing away alongside of me again
CMGva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement