HELP! Beagle's biting - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default HELP! Beagle's biting

My partner bought me a beagle puppy for Christmas. He is now 4 months old. He is already house trained. Very hyper and mastered the basic commands. However, I am having major problems with his biting he constantly needs to be biting me but only me and not my partner. I have tried everything from ignoring him. Putting him a separate room, shouting at him, tapping his bum and tapping his nose and he stops for a second and carries on biting. It has come to the point when I can't sit down anywhere as he has cut skin and my arms are in bits. Was just wondering if this is normal? And if anyone else has gone through this? As I haven't experienced this with any of my previous pets
Thanks
JustineDixey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to wizardeyes

Mine went through this bad when she was that age. I don't remember just what I did, she just sort of grew out of it. There are other things you can try, though. You can make sure to have a toy on hand to replace your arm with when he starts biting, or you could keep a spray bottle on hand to spray him every time he bites. It might be a case of under-stimulation. Do you have enough hard toys for him to gnaw on? Something that helped my dog is to soak an old rag in water, roll it up and tie the two ends together. Then put it in the freezer and wait until it's frozen solid and let him chew on it for awhile. The cloth and the cold helps stimulate the gums, but don't leave it for two long, otherwise you'll have a pretty big puddle. Make sure to praise him a lot when he's chewing on his toys and not you. Try making a high pitched squeak instead of a shout, they're more likely to register that it hurt you that way.
wizardeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you so much. It's driving me insane. I don't understand why he only bites me kept thinking I was doing something wrong. I have got plenty of different toys for him of all textures but he still only seems to be interested in my arms. But your idea with the frozen towel and water sprayer sound amazing. I will try put them into action. He's a determined little dog though
Old 02-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to wizardeyes

Yeah, the spray bottle set on the jet setting was the only thing that got Jayne out of her worst habits (i.e., trying to eat the cat poop). The 4th month is like the terrible twos of dogs, then the 6th is sort of like puberty and their temperament starts to shift a little. Then between the 9th and two year mark, they have a rebellious teenage phase where they really test your boundaries. It's probably not like this with all dogs by any means, but those were the different phases I've seen in my dog so far. Good luck with your pup!
wizardeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Aww thank you for you help. Hopefully this will work on him. It's driving me insane I keep over thinking everything thinking imdoing something wrong because it's only me he bites and it's constant :s
Old 02-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

First of all I will tell you this is puppy behavior. That being said you want to nip it in the bud so it doesn't get worse. My dog was bitey at that age but she doesn't do it anymore after consistent training. I have posted MANY times when this issue came up so I won't repeat all my comments again. Go to the "Search" field in the toolbar and enter words like biting, nipping, bite inhibition and you will find lots of prior posts. Please read them it will be helpful.
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you I've only just registered to the forum soo I'll have a little look around see what tips I can find. Apart from his biting he's a loving little dog. He just has fazes and it's so frustrated
Old 02-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

That's ok, I was where you are now...I have an old robe to prove it, there are so many bite holes in it it looks like swiss cheese. You should also read books or go to the internet for lots of information. I also recommend learning to "clicker train" the dog-after read up and you still have questions post them for help..
Welcome to the forum
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Welcome to BW Justine!
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default HELP! Beagle's biting

Please don't forget he is teething right now. It hurts !! Buy lots of things for him to chew on to help with his teething.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement