Why did you choose a beagle? - Page 2 - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013, 07:43 AM   #11 (permalink)

Default Why did you choose a beagle?

All my life I've been around large breed dogs but my wife is the opposite and is somewhat intimidated by big dogs so a medium size breed seemed a fair compromise.
A few years ago a dog called Uno won best in show at Westminster dog show which was our first encounter of a beagle. Both myself and my wife loved everything about the way the beagle looked.
At the time my wife was pregnant with my son so we wanted to wait till our children were old to understand how to behave correctly around a dog. After doing constant research into the breed it very soon became apparent that a Beagle was perfect for me and my family. I also wanted a bit of a challenge.
I've had Brynn for about 2 months now and he has been a complete joy from the moment we set eyes on him. He is a massive part of our family already, he even kisses my children goodnight every evening. He's not my dog, he really is my friend.
I read some entries on the rainbow bridge section of the forum this morning and the thought of me ever having to go through what others have been through had me sobbing (I'm a 6'3 200lb 33 year old male who rarely shows emotion so I made sure I was on my own).
I'm so pleased I chose a beagle for my family. I doubt any other breed will ever live in my house.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
JaakeTod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #12 (permalink)

I didnt choose one. And I honestly am not sure if Id have another. Dont get me wrong, love Solo to pieces. But I like breeds who are more people oriented and not to self thinking lol.

A friend asked me to foster a 4 week old very very ill beagle puppy. well he sure weaseled his way in to our hearts after every few hours of feeding him and medicating im, coming to work with me ect. I fell head over heels for him. And around here beagles are a dime a dozen in shelters. I was afraid his fate may end him back up in a shelter later on. I know id keep him forever, no matter what his beagle ways do lol.

Im a herding dog person, rough collies (own one now too. had them growing up also) german shepherds rottweilers and poodles who are not herders, but fantastic amazing dogs(Minis, had them growing up)

I do love the look of beagles I just dont love their independnce, my collie will wait for direction my beagle will do his own thing lol
LAD85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #13 (permalink)

" my collie will wait for direction my beagle will do his own thing lol"
Lol is any beagle not like that? Mine on walks for example doesn't keep the nose off the ground and goes deaf when tracking a scent. But a breed WAY worse in that aspect are English Bulldogs, I've taken care of one and they just don't care about anything you say, let's go outside? "nah", come here boy " no thanks i'll just keep walking this way".
JohnyPepperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to wizardeyes

Really? My grandma has a collie and she's twice as stubborn as my beagle, the thing wouldn't get into a car herself if there was a big juicy steak waiting for her in it. I used to dream about having a border collie, but I don't like the way herding dogs interact with other dogs. I just think it's fun to see my dog form a little pack and play at the dog park independently rather than running around whining and trying to herd all the dogs or obsessing over a frisbee.
wizardeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

I recently lost my 2 year old beagle Jersey to rat bait posioning. But I'm currently eagerly waiting to see if the breeders girl is pregnant so we can get another little girl. We can't see our future without a beagle in our lives now.

We initially got Jersey (our first beagle) because of how adorable they look with their big ears. And they're a good size, easy for me to pick up if i need to and they don't shed too much (like my previous labradors).

Well we just fell head over heels for Jersey and her loving nature. She was exactly like everyone says in the fact that she just did her own thing. We also have a silky terrior and he lives for pleasing us and he hardly puts a foot out of line. As much as that makes it easy for us, I find him kind of boring! Jersey had the most beautiful personality, she was so goofy and every day she would do something that showed us how extremely smart she was or how silly she was. She constantly kept us on our toes. She wasn't hugely affectionate but the older she got the more she would want a cuddle at night. Our silky terrier wants cuddles all day long, which sometimes gets annoying. Well we didn't often get cuddles from Jersey but when we did it felt like it was 100 times more special because we had 5 minutes of her time lol.

I loved that she just did her own thing, she was just herself and she didn't want to impress anyone she just wanted to be herself. And what an amazing dog she was. She was such a huge part of my life and I cannot wait until our new baby girl joins our family!

You fill my heart with love, and my entire world with happiness.
I married my best friend on the 10th of November 2012
JerseyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:21 AM   #16 (permalink)

My friend had left her beagle with me when she moved out of the country and hence from the last six months he is with me. I love him because of his friendly nature and of course because of the look and fur. He is so intelligent that I need not to give many instructions to him for anything. There is one more thing which is very specific about him that he is not aggressive with any member of the family, especially with the kids in my home and thus he is considered as a family member.
ackerleynelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #17 (permalink)

My husband wanted a dog that is good with children. So he did the research and said if we get a dog it should be a Beagle. He made me read a book about how to deal with Beagles, and when he said I was ready he let me search for one, wanting a puppy girl, due to it being his first dog ever, he wanted a puppy, I wanted a girl. Found one at a home of a hunter who had unwanted litter from his hunting Beagles. Molly picked me out, and we had to wait another 3-4 weeks before bringing her home, and it was the best. Spoiling her big time and she is my girl, and a great big sister to our now 1 year old son, who loves her so much.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #18 (permalink)

My husband has wanted a beagle since he was a little boy. Our family has had four different breeds over the last 24 years, but never a beagle. I am so thrilled that he finally has his boyhood dream in this sweet pup. She's an angel
Glitter&Grunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #19 (permalink)

I had lost my german shepherd, Xena, and was very upset - she was trained to work with autistic children, and was the best rescue I had ever trained - she even picked up legos and spit them into the bucket! One of our local fosterers was sheltering a beagle puppy, but because she was so afraid of people (after significant abuse) and would growl and bite if touched, they were beginning to lose hope. My kids' bus driver decided that the pup and I were meant for each other.

She was right.
ljas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement