How do you protect your dogs? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How do you protect your dogs?

Hello i've starting walking my pup like a week ago and unfortunately where I live there are a couple irresponsible owners that let they're unsocialized dogs off leash to do as they please, today two medium sized mixed dogs as soon as they saw my pup started running full speed growling and one of them did a little snap on my puppy back but no blood, the owner was saying " don't worry they don't hurt", now is she even serious? They circled him and ran away, mine had the tail between his legs the whole time. I've also came across two pitbullls with no leash or owner around that luckily didn't pay much atention just walked by. I was just wondering has something similar happened to any of you? What did you do?
JohnyPepperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think you just always have to be on your guard. Treat every dog that approaches you with the potential of being aggressive regardless of what their owner says. If I'm approached by another dog I always to get Brynn to stand by my side so I can step in if the other dog gets aggressive

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
JaakeTod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

I don't know what your local laws are like but the first thing I'd do is call animal control. When you call give them the location and description of the animals. It is not my intention to frighten you but treat every unleashed dog as a threat. You have a small little beagle that can not defend itself. I have had a beagle mauled to death by another dog(Australian Shep). It is not something you want to ever go through. My husband did everything he could do to protect her and save her. He still hasn't forgiven himself for what happened and it wasn't his fault. This is the first time I have ever talked about this so forgive me if a babble on. We will forever be heart broken over her death.

So please find some means to protect yourself and your pup. When I have any dog out I carry pepper spray. I don't care what anyone says their dog is like. I work for an electric utility and encounter dozens of dogs every day. I have been bitten/cornered/chased/shown teeth by countless "he/she won't bite" dogs. And yet I still absolutely adore dogs!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

We have leash laws where I live. I would be extremely worried if other dogs who were off leash approached-not only for my dog but also for my own safety.
Owners can never be totally sure how two dogs will react to each other. Multiple dogs could react as a pack. I won't go to a doggie park where they are penned in and off leash. My friend brought her dog to one and it was attacked by another dog.

Dog-on-dog bites are serious (let alone on humans!) as the teeth push the fur under the skin which can cause bad infections even when it doesn't seem too serious a bite.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

We had a dog when we was walking in the woods come running full speed off the lead at me and Millie and we both froze Millie got down low with her tail between her legs n I just froze i was actually scared. He jumped on her and the owner called it back over n it left us alone after that but had he attacked Millie I don't know what I would of done. Millie is never really scared of other dogs either she thinks they all want to play and was even happy to play with the massive St. Bernard we saw on a walk once but this horrible dog scared her...she doesn't like the 2 staffy dogs who live in the garden opposite either so I'm sure she knows when a dog is being aggressive towards her. I think if you have a dog with any aggressive behaviour they should NOT be let off a lead, no only for the sake of other dogs but also children! Some people are very irrisponcable, but your not the only one who this happends too.
ruthc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

You can carry pepper spray and/or a loud whistle to startle the dogs. If I get any of those people that yell " don't worry, he friendly" I yell firmly yell back at them "get your dog on leash NOW, there is a leash law here". We stop until the other dog is leashed or called back to their owner. Definately find out the leash laws in your area. You can carry you cell phone with animal conrol programmed in. Don't ever be afraid to protect your dog from a potential attack. Another thing I like to yell when they say their dog is friendly - I say "can't guarantee mine is, get yours on a leash".
Old 02-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

The owner of the dog that attacked my friend's dog said, "my dog is friendly"...NOT!

My neighbor has 2 HUGE lab mixes who look scarey and who are walked off leash (although they carry the leash). I've gone to them and asked for their walking schedule so I don't meet up with the dogs while they are out-They know now that I have a concern.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Who is at fault when an unleashed dog gets into trouble or run over, the owner. No dog should be let run loose in populated areas. Leash laws exist to protect the dog as much as to protect other dogs and people. Where I live if a dog bites a person that dog is put down. Call animal control for everyone's benefit before someone or some dog gets hurt.
btomlin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you all for your storys, my6beagles that's very sad I can't imagine going through that. I've been reading about the laws here and they're the same dogs can't walk off leash on populated areas, agressive breeds need to walk on leash and wear a muzzle, I'm yet to see an agressive breed wearing a muzzle, never did. Apparently laws are there but people don't respect them, to the point that even the fireman let they're german sheppard lose in the streets outside they're quarters, it barked at my dog once and kept walking. I will talk to that lady whose dogs "don't hurt" next time and tell her if she knows the law, about the loose pitbulls, i'll have to call animal control when I see them. And i'm not walking mine in they're schedules either.
JohnyPepperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It is so annoying that we have to even worry about these things. Lazy owners with no common sense cause so many issues for others that are just out for a nice walk.
Advertisement