How do you protect your dogs? - Page 2 - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to wizardeyes

There's a dog on my block that lives in a house right on the sidewalk where I walk Jayne. He's a very, very old German Shepherd, hell, he can hardly walk, that's probably why the owners let him roam their yard off leash. The problem is, he growls. I've never had a problem before, I'd just shuffle by as quickly as I could, but once he staggered (and I mean staggered, that dog can hardly walk) out to the sidewalk and stood in front of us so that we had to turn around and go the other way. I took down their address and called animal control, the dog hasn't been wandering the sidewalks since.

If people tend not to abide by the leash laws, your best bet would be going with what MollysMom said. Maybe try walking around with a spray water bottle on the jet setting.
wizardeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
Nic

Default How do you protect your dogs?

I went to a big park in ashford (Kent) in the uk (in case you lucky people living in hot climates was wondering. Only slightly jealous!!) lol. Anyway, I had my 9mth old beag on his lead, very close to me when a staff bull terrier came running up to him not on a lead "wanting to play" according to his owner (once he finally turned round whilst talking on his phone), my dog let the staff sniff him then the staff growled, and lunged at my dog, he bit him on his side! My dog yelped,then the owner came over and said sorry,he wants to play!! No damage done to my dog,thank goodness! I didn't quite realise how protective I would be towards My dog in that situation, I would of easily grabbed the other dog if needed! Any way, my dog got over the shock of it all quite quickly. We went on our way and the other dog was put on a lead by his owner. Well, on the way back to my car an hour later, the same dog without his lead on, came charging at my dog again and had another go at him! The owner said "sorry again"! I couldn't believe it! Now, I don't want to tie all dogs as the same, but I've never been a fan of staff bull terriers,and this confirms why I don't like them! I'm sure there are some kind loving staff's out there! Perhaps the other dog did want to play, but it sure scared my dog!

Sent from Petguide.com App
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #13 (permalink)

Bully breeds are in a bit of a transition period right now. I don't think people realize just how recently genetic aggression has been started to be bred out them. A lot of pits and staffies I've seen at the dog park really do want to play, their tails wag and they're in a play stance, but they tend to play rough and accidentally hurt their playmate. This wouldn't be a problem if all the dogs it was playing with were submissive or adaptable to it's play style, but that's not always the case. Genetic aggression has been bred out of beagles over hundreds of years, but only in the last couple decades have the bully breeds been getting the attention they need.

Also, was this a regular park, or a fenced in dog park? In a dog park, it is highly recommended you take your dog off the lead before you enter because it's a huge aggression trigger. If it was a regular park, however, the staffie's owner was for sure in the wrong. I can't stand people who complain about how society treats their breed then continues to set the dog up for failure like that, only hindering the acceptance process.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #14 (permalink)
Nic

Default How do you protect your dogs?

It was in a normal kids play park/recreational ground (a really huge area with loads of fields for all to enjoy,) we have taken him to dog parks before, and like you said, he goes in without a lead. I hate to tie all dogs of the same bread, I'm sure he was just wanting to play, and like you said, they do play differently. We are in the process of getting my dog and a friends beagle to meet at mutual dog park for a play session so he gets to know how to interact with other dogs. He seems to do all the right things, lets others sniff him, he generally submits to others, great with 3tiny puppies he met today too, just let them sniff him!

Sent from Petguide.com App
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #15 (permalink)

Beagles are usually great at dog parks since they're bred to work in a pack of dogs. Jayne has never gotten into a fight because of her adaptability. She feels a dog out before really playing with them and adjusts to their style and boundaries. The first thing she does to a bigger dog when it walks in the park is sit down and licks it's lips, she's definitely a dog pleaser. The beagle's adaptability definitely makes them good dog park goers.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #16 (permalink)

hey! this has nothing to do with this thread I was searching and wanted to show you this pup "chocolate beagle" some person is selling in my area
http://www.criadores-caes.com/fotos/70692_154225.jpg
do you think shes all beagle?
JohnyPepperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:23 PM   #17 (permalink)

She definitely looks like all the chocolate beagle pups I've seen, but I'd I'd just be sure to check out the breeder and make sure they're certified and reliable. Chocolate beagles are uncommon, so it could be very possible they may be breeding for appearance rather than health or temperament.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #18 (permalink)

good point wizard maybe it's best not to encourage those breeders
JohnyPepperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #19 (permalink)

So far Rascal wants to go meet every dog out! She has been good with all of them even some ones the owner says does not like other dogs! And they have liked her!
My first dog didn't like other dogs and this is nice to be around. Except when she starts baying because she can't go meet the other dog!
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #20 (permalink)

You can't tell by looking or by breed if a dog will be aggressive or not. There are a couple of pitts near us that are very well behaved (and totally under their owner's control) at all times. On the other hand, when one of my children was very small, he was attacked by a jack russell terrier.

To protect myself and my dog, I would recommend carrying a spray can of hairspray. It hurst like pepper spray, and is legal. Unforunately, plain water doesn't work if a dog is intent on attack.
ljas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement