Tall Beagle? - Page 3 - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 11:44 PM   #21 (permalink)

Default Tall Beagle?

In the UK you are advised by the Kennel Club to only buy from assured breeders or rescue a dog. By saving yourself a few hundred all you are doing is supporting irresponsible breeding of which there is a huge problem in this country. Nearly all the KC assured breeders here show their beagles and they only breed for that reason producing 1/2 litters a year. Some only produce one every few years and they have waiting lists for their puppies.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
JaakeTod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #22 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to wizardeyes

Around here buying a beagle for more than $200 is an impossibility. I didn't buy my dog to just "save a few hundred". There aren't any show breeders around here, only hunters. The man I got Jayne from has been breeding for 25 years, had all his pups vet checked, dewormed, and got their first shots before he even put his ad out in the paper. Me and my grandma made sure to have a good look at where the dogs are kept and made sure that our money was going to someone who loved their dogs. If you knew Jayne, you'd know that this man is working hard to improve the breed. She has high stamina, good disposition, zero aggression, and self control that I've never seen in a beagle before. She's smart too, smarter than any beagle I had before her. She was bred to solve problems and I'll be damned if she doesn't solve every single one of them that she faces. Taking all this into consideration, her personality hasn't been bred out of her. A lot of times you can tell when a pup has been bred from a tired mother. Our last beagle was a rescued puppy mill puppy and she had zero personality and, we loved her to death, but there was no spark in her eye, it was lost with her mother's unhappiness.

I mainly think the beagle culture is different depending on the area you live in. Here in northern Wisconsin where hunting is as popular as football, it's more common for people to be breeding for a better hunting dog rather than a better show standard dog, it's almost unheard of for beaglers to breed their dogs for show around here.
wizardeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #23 (permalink)
Nic

Default Tall Beagle?

I got my pup from a breeder in uk, we paid 550 for him, I didn't think this was a lot at all, but went to check them out, all seemed fine. We have a happy 9mth old boy called Odie, he has plenty of personality! We purchased a book called how to test your dogs IQ, well it said that beagles were number 8on the least intelligent dog list!! Sometimes we do have a good laugh at him and say no wonder where they got that statistic from, he can be so scatty, but that's the beagle that I love!
Tall Beagle?-imageuploadedbypetguide1361201380.475274.jpg
Tall Beagle?-imageuploadedbypetguide1361201397.105830.jpg
Tall Beagle?-imageuploadedbypetguide1361201418.386333.jpg the last picture was Odie when we first got him (9weeks old) he is with my brothers beagle,Bart!

Sent from Petguide.com App
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #24 (permalink)

Beagles aren't dumb by a long shot! I hate that list because it's based off of trainabilty rather than actual intelligence. In my opinion, beagles should be near the top because they have the ability to work through problems on their own without the guidance of humans. I did the test your dog's IQ test recently and Jayne scored in the top because most of the tests were things that required your dog to solve a problem without human interference.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #25 (permalink)
Nic

Default Tall Beagle?

We do have a laugh about it! I suppose we haven't treated him as his breed states, he is not great at sniffing treats out around the house (just sits and looks like we have gone crazy) and when out in the forests he won't notice a rabbit next to him as he is to busy eating the rabbits poo!!! We haven't let him off lead unless in a gated dog park because the roads are too close, I'm worried he will get hit by a car. He isn't great at recall unless he sees us with a treat in our hand (why come running back for nothing when you can eat poo where you are!!) he has us well trained lol

Sent from Petguide.com App
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #26 (permalink)

wizardeyes, I haven't kept track on how much we have spent on Rascal. The county paid for her spay. We are going to have to pay to get her cherry eye fixed (we knew that before we adopted.) We will have the continuing expense of getting her anal glands emptied.
All these thing are just expenses that go along with the pleasure and companionship of owning a dog.
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #27 (permalink)

I don't understand what I said that you're addressing here.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #28 (permalink)

You were talking about the cost of buying a puppy. I was talking about that.
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #29 (permalink)

Sorry I'm a bit late to the discussion but I love that pic of Jayne, wizardeyes. When I first saw her and you said she was a bit taller, one of my first thoughts was that she might have a little bit of Foxhound mixed in. Then when I saw her face I wondered if she could have some Coonhound in her, particularly Treeing Walker Coonhound as they're a bit smaller than the other coonhounds and are usually tricolor. Abby has TWC in her as well as Beagle, and she's around 18 inches tall herself (TWC females are usually 20-25 inches tall). Does Jayne have the typical Beagle tail with brush on the end? If not there might be a bit of Coonhound blood mixed in.

If she doesn't have Coonhound or Foxhound in her, it could be that hunting beagles are a bit bigger, or maybe it's a result of BYB (back yard breeding, which often results in beagles that don't necessarily conform to the standard and could be bigger/smaller)?
AbbyTheCoongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement