General Misbehavior - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 08:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default General Misbehavior

I will start off by saying that I blame my Beagles misbehavior mostly on something that my wife and I are doing wrong.

That being said we have a 1.5 year old Beagle is is virtually constantly either stealing things off ours desks or tables. ( non food related), chewing up our couch ( which is now destroyed), or destroying pillows or comforters. He also scratches at my arm constantly while sitting at my desk at home and barks at my wife for attention. Other times he constantly licks us and will not stop. I believe the licking is because of a confidence issue of some sort.

My wife and I do both work full time so he is a lone a lot during the day and I know this is not ideal. He does get lots of attention on nights and weekends.

right now as I am typing this he is under my desk trying to take things from the back of it.

I have had several beagles in my life and have not had this bad of an experience ever. On a positive note he was easier to house train than most f the beagles that i have had... BTW he just unplugged my monitor... ok its back on now.

Any help would be appreciated.

I also wanted to add we do use bitter apple but he literally just moves to another surface after spraying one. He will just keep moving to another surface as we spray. HE also can not be crated as he will literally scream for hours and never give up. ( stubborn beagle).

Thank you.

Last edited by steely100; 02-15-2013 at 08:16 AM.
steely100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 11:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome to BW. unfortunately I have no advice. Maybe others will later.
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Sounds like anxiety from boredom. He needs to get out for walks and playtime, and to be re-directed to toys and things that are for him. For example, if he starts chewing, tell him "no" and then give him a chew toy, stuffed toy or whatever he likes to play with. There are puzzle balls and things like that which are good to use when the dog is bored.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Obedience classes?

Exercise?

Lots of indestructable chew toys, like nyla bones, antlers, cooked marrow bones?

Doggie day camp to play hard and get tired...and give you a break?

Limiting areas in the house?

Time outs for naughty behavior?

Area in the yard to play or tie out to a stake?
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default General Misbehavior

I have a beagle that is not as bad as you describe but she does snatch things(non food) off tables. What I have been doing is redirecting her. If I see her grab something I don't want her to have I get a treat and trade her. She drops whatever it is and gladly trades me. I use the Bob o lot treat(I use dinner) toy to slow down a super fast eater. But you could use it to redirect his attention and give him something to do.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement