Pickiest eater! - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 07:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pickiest eater!

Beagy is a very picky eater it is mostly our fault for giving him little pieces of food sometimes I know, he just refuses to eat the dry food , will only eat half of what he was supposed to, it's not illness hes hungry for everything else, should I just simply wait for him to get hungry and go eat his food? is the fact that i'm letting the bowl with food stand there the whole day not helping, should I set meal times and take the food away? I'm afraid he won't eat in the meal times and then have to wait for the next that's why I leave it there. He has really good weight, a puppy belly, but hes getting pickier and pickier any advice? Thanks.
JohnyPepperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

WOW, welcome to my world!! I kept reading how beagles are such eaters so it really confused me as to why my beagie is such a picky eater. Maybe I can fast track you from all my experiences.

I've tried dry kibble, wet food, kosher food, home-cooked with the same results--honestly I could have fed my husband the home cooked it was so good.

Now I have settled on this, Eukanuba adult maintenance , SMALL bite ( I noticed the large kibble was too difficult for her to eat. I add a small amount of cooked chicken or ground meat and some canned chopped green beans (she likes my pot roast...lol). Anyway, just about 2 tablespoons of the people food to about 1/3 cup of the kibble ( know that's not alot but that's the amt that works). I warm the people food and add a very small amount of liquid and that's it. At first not so accepting. Pick up the food after about 15 minutes...nxt feeding time give half of what wasn't eaten the time before. They soon learn to like the food.

Some days she will eat only twice and other days three times, I kind of go by how she acts. Now this morning she ignored her food while she ate it eagerly yesterday...go figure. I'm not stressing over this anymore!

Glad to know it's not just my Beag
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
WOW, welcome to my world!! I kept reading how beagles are such eaters so it really confused me as to why my beagie is such a picky eater. Maybe I can fast track you from all my experiences.

I've tried dry kibble, wet food, kosher food, home-cooked with the same results--honestly I could have fed my husband the home cooked it was so good.

Now I have settled on this, Eukanuba adult maintenance , SMALL bite ( I noticed the large kibble was too difficult for her to eat. I add a small amount of cooked chicken or ground meat and some canned chopped green beans (she likes my pot roast...lol). Anyway, just about 2 tablespoons of the people food to about 1/3 cup of the kibble ( know that's not alot but that's the amt that works). I warm the people food and add a very small amount of liquid and that's it. At first not so accepting. Pick up the food after about 15 minutes...nxt feeding time give half of what wasn't eaten the time before. They soon learn to like the food.

Some days she will eat only twice and other days three times, I kind of go by how she acts. Now this morning she ignored her food while she ate it eagerly yesterday...go figure. I'm not stressing over this anymore!

Glad to know it's not just my Beag
Thanks! I'm glad to know it''s not only my beagle either, couldn't find a thread about this. What you said looks like a very balanced meal, i'll definetly do that if the pup continues, I was stressing already mine is just like yours one day eats very well next day not really.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

I know 1/3 of a cup of kibble is a small amount but when they drink water it swells up in their tummy. One more thing, when they don't eat the food you put down, throw it away and clean the bowl and give fresh the nxt time. I've wasted a lot of kibble but they won't eat the stuff that was out before. I am seeing an improvement though.

Frankly, this may be a good sign we won't have fatties...Cassie is 13 months and is 25lbs.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Pickiest eater!

Don't leave the meal down all. I leave Brynns bowl down for 20 mins and what he doesn't eat is picked up. He ha 3 meals a day and very rarely leaves anything. I only give him his meals and a few training treats. You just need to be strict and consistent

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
JaakeTod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

just an update, after 3 days of not eating enough dry food I decided to try cassie recipe I've been feeding him half a cup of eukanuba dry food to around a total of 3 tablespoons of chopped meat/chicken cooked with just water and I just switched green beans to peas, this for 3 times a day and he eats it all! not even a piece of dry food is left. I walk him twice and i've also been taking him on 1 hour joggings every two days so he is happy and healthy. the pup is looking big and strong i'll post pictures soon
Old 02-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Pickiest eater!

Ours eats ANYTHING. He prefers wet food but he'll eat dry food too. Seems to really enjoy Tuna at the moment which were giving him in to assist in clearing some dry skin

Pickiest eater!-imageuploadedbypg-free1360886799.743854.jpg

Two bones at a time there!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
GHughes17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Mine is picky. but I say to bad. he gets 2 cups a day one in am and one in pm. if he doesnt eat it within 20mins, its picked up. plain and simple. A dog will not starve themselves. skipping a meal here and there will not harm them. by giving in and mixing foods ect is just going to make them a very picky eater

Id look at better foods then eukanuba. its a expensive food for a crappy quality.
LAD85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Believe you me I tried 5 star rated foods with NO better results. I threw lots of very expensive food away. ...I finally just donated what she refused (5*) to our local shelter-they were happy to see me coming!

My dog has a thick, shiney coat with little shedding. Her teeth are pearly white
Old 02-14-2013, 10:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Your beagle is not even a year old, and yet you tried lots of foods. Are you sure you are even switching over properly and giving a good month or so to see how the dog does on it?

I just cant agree with paying top dollar for low quality food. while I pay a middle ground price for very high quality food
LAD85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement