My new puppy has just started growling and biting...what should I do? Help! - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My new puppy has just started growling and biting...what should I do? Help!

/Users/debrakarasiewicz/Desktop/232323232fp73493>nu=35<->--6>4<7>26;;--65;8257ot1lsi.jpegWe just got a 7week old Beagle. She is wonderful. Her breder had them in a pen outside, and she was actually born out side in Michigan (cold) which I was not really happy with. Only good thing that came out of that was she has learned in a few short days to go to our glad sliding door and whine when she need to go potty. She is so smart. She is fitting into out family very well. She is now 8 weeks old and has just now snartte nipping and bitting, mosting at night when she get really hyper and playing. we would be playing tug of war or fetch ( which I read we are not suposed to do)? why I don't know. Anyways, she started no going for the toy, but going for me. She would go for my arm and bit my arm on purpose. I would say no and redirect her to a chew toy that she could chew. Then I would prasie her. That didn't work she started to get more aggressive even growling when I try to pull her off my clothing (arm) almost like its a game to her) so I held her muzzle closed for a few mins. because she almost drew blood and was scaring me. THis didn't seem to work, and later I read this was wrong to do as well. I read to yip like a dog when they are hurt, when she nipps or bite at me and then remove her, cross my arms walk away and not to play for 30 secs or so. This worked a few time. Please tell me the right thing to do. She is such a smart, funny dog. And she is so good. I know she is just teething and we are all learning. My husband is used to outside dogs in pens for hunting and I am a inside dog person. I just don't remember this my last puppy was 16 years ago. My dog past away last summer. My husband says we cant have a dog hurting us, but I know this is just normal puppy behavior, so HELP. Please tell me the RIGHT thing to do. Thank you!!!!! and Harley thanks you!
Harleygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

It sounds like she is teething and is also finding an outlet to exert all that puppy energy. I have a similar problem with my Abby. She's actually a beagle/treeing walker coonhound mix. She's almost a year and a half old, and she still mouths/nips when she's in a really playful mood. I've tried all of that before - grabbing her snout, taking my hand away and yelping, redirecting her to one of her chewy bones, etc. It's even worse because the coonhound in her likes to jump on me, lol

What I've heard is good is to just walk away from them and ignore them for a while. I do this with Abby and she'll bark for me at first, but then she'll stop and when I go into the other room, she'll follow me and will behave. I guess the important thing is to teach them that it's just wrong and punish them by not giving them the attention they're looking for. Although you don't want to leave them alone too long because they could become destructive. But even for a couple of minutes should help some.

I hope some of this helps! Good luck! My last beagle when she was a puppy was very mouthy too - I got her at about 3 1/2 months old. I found that the nylabones were great for that. There was a hard dinosaur-shaped one that she loved and it helped her when she was teething. They should still have it - I got one for Abby when I first adopted her at 5 months old.
AbbyTheCoongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Welcome to the forum you will find a lot of helpful information here.

My dog was bitey too at that age and doesn't do it anymore. You think...how could this adorable face be biting me, eh? Several things to help you:

1. Get lots of hard chew toys like the mentioned nyla bones, also antlers, balls, and hard ropes. Soft cutsie toys just get ripped so save your money.

2. say "OUCH!" and walk away-they don't like being ignored.

3. Tug of war games right now just gets them worked up-later when they stop with the biting you can play that.

4. Give your puppy frequent naps in a crate as a tired puppy is a nippy puppy

5. Watch any small children so they don't get hurt.

6. Don't play with the dog while sitting on the floor-at their level they like to bite.

7. Hand feed your dog for a little while-they don't "bite the hand that feeds them"...lol (hey it is a little messy though )

8. Restrict the dog's area to a room or portion of one-I think too much freedom tends to make them nervous.

8. Be consistent and patient -it will get better.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you so much for all the information. One thing I did not know, I sit on the floor all the time to play. So now if I sit in a chair or on the couch, how do I play with her? Also, she chases our cat. I do notice the cat "plays with her at times and bats her with paws and actually runs and races. (Plays chases) but I think when Harley starts to bite too hard, Ziggy's ears go back and he is done. So, you play from a chair. Throw a toy? or basically them them play on there on and just correct when there wrong? Thank you sooo much for you time and information.

Debbie
Harleygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

beagles are not killing machines don't take it so serious :P mine drew me blood a couple of times nothing serious of course, do everything that cassie said, if it doesn't work like mine, I hit the newspaper on the wall or any other object real hard and say NOOO it worked in a day, now I just need to say NO, he relates
JohnyPepperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hi Debbie
I did a lot of bending over but throwing toys that they run after tires them out. That being said, when my dog was doing the "zoomies" (running really crazy) that was when she would bite so watch for that.

Honestly it will get better. I have a robe that I wore at the time when she was nippy and it has lots of holes----like swiss cheese...lol I showed my husband by holding it up to the light and you could see the holes

Check out the internet for various topics and you will find a wealth of information---hey, I read 8 books and lots of internet articles. Im a first timer!!
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement