Excessive ear infection medication? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Excessive ear infection medication?

So it happened, my beagle got her first ear infection. I saw her put her whole puppy paw in her ear, then I looked in noticed her left one was a little red with gunk in it Right to the vet we went.

At the vet it was a bacterial infection, no yeast, no mites. We did an ear cleaning ( lesson learned have to be better with a weekly cleaning) he put some gel in it, zymox, which I have to continue every other day for 14 days. He also prescribed amoxicillin 2x a day for 14 days. In the visit he also gave a steroid shot (he said for pain and inflammation. He then also prescribed tramadol and prednisone to help with pain and inflammation.

Clu does not seem in pain or uncomfortable at all. No trouble eating, sleeping, she has been to the dog park happy and playing. Does the pain medication seem excessive? The infection did not seem bad, and other than the scratching no other signs, such as whimpering or crying. I would hate to give her medication just to give it. Is this a normal set of medication for when dogs get ear infections? I should have questioned the vet more about it but I was just listening to what he recommended as this was my first experience.
ncox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yes. Kind of.
Don't know much about this. Others with more experience with beagles may chime in on this.
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It does sound excessive unless the vet discovered more than he was saying. One of my dogs had yeast and bacteria infection and the vet cleaned out his ears, gave me drops and the dog a shot and some pills. I don't understand the Tarmadol and steroid shot, especially if your beag hasn't been suffering and going crazy about her ears.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

My vet is just the opposite. She thinks pain meds are rarely needed. I am of the belief that pain meds help in the healing process. My question to you is if your dog has a horrible ear infection would the use of pain meds reduce the chances that when you are away she won't dig at her ears because they hurt? So if it doesn't hurt she may be less likely to injury herself further because she won't be digging at her ears. Give it a few days after the antibiotics start to work then if you wish take her off the pain meds.
I use Zymox otic on my pack of beagles weekly. Helps greatly with ear issues.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Btw one of my pack Belle has had some of the worst ear infections in the past. She never ever showed any signs of discomfort. No whimpering,whining or anything else. Just one day she pawed her ears. She now gets a weekly cleaning no matter what. Some dogs won't give you any signs that it hurts. She even ruptured her MCL in her knee and never said a peep. Even the orthopedic surgeon was amazed with her.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

I think of it this way. The vet went to vet school, I didn't. So I should trust his advice. If I didn't, I'd change vets.
Hsaiotei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Clu ear is looking much better after a few days, and i am giving her all the medicine the vet said to. 4 pills a day for a 5 month old puppy seems a bit much so I just wanted to see if this was similar to the treatment other owners were prescribed and if this is what will happen if she ever gets another one.

Thanks again
ncox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

I've never used pain meds for ear infection. Clean the ear with the solution about 1x/week, and the ear drops when they are red. She usually scratches and shakes her head which is a sign. After a couple of days of the antibiotics the ears look great.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

My little dude Ralph just got over an ear infection. The vet cleaned out his ears, and gave him 5 days worth of drops and some ear cleaner. Nothing else. He's doing great (laying next to me as I type this). Perhaps your dog had a particular infection that needed the extras?

If you trust your vet, I wouldn't worry - but if you're feeling sociable, I usually ask fellow dog-parkers for vet recommendations (or warnings!).

Your pup looks just like Ralph, so I felt compelled to chime in. :P
remainsnameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

When in doubt, ask. I would call the vet and ask him about your concerns.
ljas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement