Spaying? - Page 3 - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 10:13 AM   #21 (permalink)

I adopted a German Shepherd from the shelter. She was 2 years old and the shelter spayed her, just before I adopted her. A few years later, my girl started dripping blood. The vet ran a serious of inconclusive tests, but suspected an incomplete spay. We wound up having exploratory surgery done. Part of her uterus and both ovaries were left behind and had to be removed.

Despite being an adult and having to be spayed twice, she recovered completely with no complications.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty Boh View Post
I adopted a German Shepherd from the shelter. She was 2 years old and the shelter spayed her, just before I adopted her. A few years later, my girl started dripping blood. The vet ran a serious of inconclusive tests, but suspected an incomplete spay. We wound up having exploratory surgery done. Part of her uterus and both ovaries were left behind and had to be removed.

Despite being an adult and having to be spayed twice, she recovered completely with no complications.

OMG! How could a legitimate vet do that? Did you ever contact the shelter?
Kapoohski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #23 (permalink)

I did contact the shelter. They did reimburse me for a portion of my dog's vet bill. My vet said that what happens with shelters, sometimes, is that they do a small incision to save time. They proceed to pull everything out of that small incision. She told me that you just can't do that with a two year old German Shepherd. My poor girl had a huge incision for the exploratory surgery. That is what had me so upset. I didn't like my baby in pain. But - she recovered quickly and was fine.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #24 (permalink)

Rascal had a fairly big incision. Of course we had no idea if she were pregnant or just fat.
Turned out she's never been pregnant just fat. She's slimmed down quite a bit since we got her.
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #25 (permalink)

Id personally try and wait a year. I like to let a dog grow up and mature. instead of having a baby have surgery and not fully mature and grow.

then again I have 2 intact males. both rescues of the sort. no breeders. but I just dont see the point in 'fixing' something that is not broken. so they keep their balls.

a female though I would spay just due to the much higher risk of intact females. such as pyro, false pregnancy, and real pregnancys ect
LAD85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement