Something to sleep on that she can't destroy? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 03:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Something to sleep on that she can't destroy?

The last few weeks Bella (almost 7 months) has started a really unacceptable and expensive behavior-- she destroys everything we give her to sleep on: so far, two towels, three little rugs, the kitchen rug, her "Rogz" dog pod (both the outer shell and the pillow) and her "Rogz" crate pad. Including the kitchen rug (for me stand on, not for her!) about $500 worth of stuff. She has several Kongs, a Nylabone, a cow-hide bone, rope toys, but chews on the rugs and dog beds and digs in them while all her toys are in easy reach. When I had to wash her "Rogz" and gave her little rugs to sleep on meantime (a few hours only!) she ate the rugs. She chews endlessly on the cow-hide bone and the Nylabone so I think they satisfy her teething or need to chew, yet she still destroys the rugs and her beds. She chewed up the "Rogz" pad in her crate, so I replaced it with an old towel, which she destroyed. She does it inside her crate, outside her crate...We shout at her and take away whatever it is and give her a bone or toy instead, but she's not getting the idea. Now I have started really smacking her butt and yelling at her severely when I catch her doing it, and removing the item, but as soon as she gets another rug, towel or bed, she does it again. We still have her confined to the (very large) kitchen most of the time because we're still house-training, plus she tries to eat every blessed thing she finds elsewhere in the house, so she can't be trusted outside the kitchen. The problem is, the kitchen is entirely tile (now that she made a hole in the big rug and we had to throw it out!) and it's a bit drafty in winter, so I feel sorry for her if she's just on the tile with nothing to lay on. And the crate floor is, of course, hard molded plastic; isn't it uncomfortable? Doesn't she need something under her? Is there anything we can give her that she can't destroy? Or must I put a muzzle on her? I really hate that idea. Help!
1BeagleHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

We have a dog bed that is non-destructible because of the fabric it is made out of. Molly used to destroy all beds until that one came along. If I remember when I go home I will see if it has a name on it. We got it for 59.99. Its a round blue donut shape with a pillow center.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have no advice for you. I also have a Bella who is about 9 months old and does the same exact thing! She has chewed through an area rug on our laminate floor and two nice rugs in the kitchen, so now we have nothing on the laminate floor in the family room or the kitchen. She sleeps on a fleece blanket in her crate, but has several little fleece blankets that we let her chew on as well.

She still gets into everything as well and even wants to chew on the furniture. She also has kongs and nylabones, and several other chew toys. She is just a stinker!! We cannot give her rawhide bones anymore because she started guarding them and being very aggressive (if you even get near her when she is eat one, for some reason she thinks you are going to take it and starts growling and showing her teeth).

Bella has been a whole new experience for us as dog owners. She is our second beagle. Our first beagle, Bettis, was an angel We had to put him down when he was 7 because he had very bad epilepsy that could no longer be controlled by the medications We then had a chocolate lab, Gabby, who was the best dog in the whole world!! She also had to be put down around age 7 because she developed a huge mass in her stomach that was inoperable

So we got Bella in July of last year and she is just a stinker! Eats and chews everything!! (even our kitchen table and bench, which she has almost destroyed!)

I hope you get some good advice, but wanted to let you know you are not alone!!
Attached Thumbnails
Something to sleep on that she can't destroy?-baby-bella.jpg   Something to sleep on that she can't destroy?-bella-sleeping.jpg  
rcq925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default Something to sleep on that she can't destroy?

These are great beds for the "chewer" dog. Although it sounds like both dogs are still teething.

http://kuranda.com/

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sounds exactly like my house!. Cassie chewed up 2 nice beds...one within an hour of being brought home!. Aside from her crate she has one of those molded plastic kiddie pools with old towels and toys in it and she will nap in it. I used an old table cloth to cover her crate but little by little has shredded it. There is a large whole in the middle of it... I am planning on buying a large pillow type dog bed that is made of some really tough materials-they're not cheap but I found a place that sells below the regular pet stores.

I also put towels in the crate which she pulls out and drags them outside. One thing that has worked well is this:

I took 3 large bath towels and layered them then folded them over in thirds to make nine layers. Then I slipped it into a pillow case and it makes a nice cushion for the bottom of the crate--she hasn't destroyed it at all-wish I would have thought of it sooner.

Cassie too has lots of chew bones etc but she is fascinated by fabric-I have to really monitor her in the house as she managed to completely destory all the patio chair cushions. I never expected this to be so difficult.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

This is the site for the bed we have. I see that Amazon carries them also.

Dog Gone Smart Beds > Products

I like the bed because its stain resistant and cleans up easy.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks everyone, for the supportive comments and links! I do think Bella is teething, but also she goes at the chewing with such gusto-- she seems really to enjoy doing it and I don't want it to become a habit. And she just never seems the slightest bit remorseful when she gets caught...
Old 02-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcq925 View Post
I have no advice for you. I also have a Bella who is about 9 months old and does the same exact thing! She has chewed through an area rug on our laminate floor and two nice rugs in the kitchen, so now we have nothing on the laminate floor in the family room or the kitchen. She sleeps on a fleece blanket in her crate, but has several little fleece blankets that we let her chew on as well.

She still gets into everything as well and even wants to chew on the furniture. She also has kongs and nylabones, and several other chew toys. She is just a stinker!! We cannot give her rawhide bones anymore because she started guarding them and being very aggressive (if you even get near her when she is eat one, for some reason she thinks you are going to take it and starts growling and showing her teeth).

Bella has been a whole new experience for us as dog owners. She is our second beagle. Our first beagle, Bettis, was an angel We had to put him down when he was 7 because he had very bad epilepsy that could no longer be controlled by the medications We then had a chocolate lab, Gabby, who was the best dog in the whole world!! She also had to be put down around age 7 because she developed a huge mass in her stomach that was inoperable

So we got Bella in July of last year and she is just a stinker! Eats and chews everything!! (even our kitchen table and bench, which she has almost destroyed!)

I hope you get some good advice, but wanted to let you know you are not alone!!
How funny! These "Bellas" are so much alike. Our Bella also recently had her first rawhide bone and she was so possessive of it that I finally threw it out. She doesn't act that way about the kongs or nylabone or any other time. Something about the rawhide.
Your Bella is very cute!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement