Aggressive beagle - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Aggressive beagle

We adopted/rescued a tricolor beagle last summer. He's 8 years old and seemed okay. After a month or so we noticed he kept his tail between his legs and once my wife took him to the pet store when she went to buy food and he tried to tear the head off another dog. The previous owner has records on him for the past 8 years. Medical check ups for every year. Paid a grand for training and had him chipped. We have three other beagles that play well together. He has never assimilated into the group and does his own thing. As of late he has tried to bite me and growls and has become aggressive. Our other beagles will lick your face off if you let them and love to tussle and play. The latest beagle isn't a love hound. The previous owner says he loved to go to the dog park but I am thinking I was bamboozled by this guy. I cant have an aggressive dog, I have two small kids and my wife keeps an infant during the week. Do I just take him to the pound? He has his own crate and food bowl and eats grain free food. Large backyard for playing with multiple dog playground items I have constructed. All the dogs go camping and enjoy walking and hiking. The aggressive dog will sleep on the bed but if you try to move him or his towel he growls. He will sit when commanded and fetch tennis balls. Suggestions?

Sean
Sblanck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

First, I would pay a visit to the vet. Have his thyroid checked and rule out any other possible medical conditions.

If there is no medical reason, consult a behaviorist and have him evaluated. In the meantime, practice nothing in life is free. He needs to earn everything he gets. The aggressive dog doesn't sleep on the bed. He has not earned that privilege, especially if he is growling. I will post a link to Mind Games. My shelter pup came with a few issues. Practicing Mind Games has helped immensely.

Are you crating this dog? If not, he should be crated, when you can't watch him. He should be crated when children are around. The safety of your kids is your main priority. I am sorry for the dog, but if he is biter - fear biter, or whatever reason, he is unsafe and a liability. You cannot pass him to someone else. I would not take him to the shelter. The shelter would either evaluate him, find him unadoptable and euth. him or pass him on to some other unsuspecting person.

If this dog cannot be rehabilitated, I think it would be a kindness to take him to the vet and have him put to sleep. I am saying this, rather than have the shelter put him down, because I think the dog deserves that little bit of compassion.

Jan
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Here is the link to Mind Games. It really does work.
Mind Games (version 1.0) by M. Shirley Chong
Old 02-05-2013, 11:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

And here is Nothing in Life is Free. You will notice that both behavior modification techniques suggest a vet check.

Nothing in Life is Free
Old 02-05-2013, 11:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Aggressive beagle

Since I don't have any idea where you live I would suggest a animal behaviorist (DACVB) if you can find one in your area. They are equipped to handle the issues your experiencing where as we can only guess. My guess is fear aggression but I would never tell you what to do as I could do more harm than good. Look I get it. Family especially children come first. There are beagle rescues and if you should go that route you should make sure and be honest with the issues your having with the beagle to the rescue. You might need to get on a waiting list but you might be able to find a rescue to take him.
I am going to be honest with one thing. A senior beagle at the pound IS almost guaranteed a death sentence. If the dog then has issues....well you can guarantee it will never leave the pound alive.

This first link is to PetMD and their vet Dr.Lisa Radosta DACVB who just wrote an article on fear aggression in dogs.

http://www.petmd.com/blogs/purelypup...y#.URHXCBG9KSM

http://www.dacvb.org/resources/find/

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

I absolutely agree with My6beagles. First, see if there is a physical cause. I would guess that your dog has been badly abused. You do have options.

First, call a rescue group and ask for a trainer that specializes in this kind of issue - methods are very different. Rescue groups will help - and take him if there is no other option.

I personally oppose 'putting a dog down' for behavior. You see, if these dogs are allowed to live, in my area they usually end up living with me or one of the other people in our 'group'. For example, Sophie - my beagle - could not tolerate being touched. She would growl and snap. Now she can go into an elementary classroom and be hugged and squeezed - and be absolutely fine. It takes time and training - and a crate. My children, from the time they were toddlers, were taught 'manners' around animals - which was how I was able to take Murray - a 200 pounder we slipped off of death row who tried to eat anyone who wasn't 'pack'.

Give him a space that is 'his' - like a crate draped with a sheet so that he has a dark 'den' to retreat to - and do not allow anyone - especially children - to go near it. If a dog has a place to retreat to, they are less likely to feel cornered and bite. Do keep him gated in a area away from your children until you can see more stability.

Rehabilitating dogs is not easy - but is very worthwhile.

Last edited by ljas; 02-06-2013 at 08:13 AM.
ljas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Its only on seldom occassion he tries to bite at me.
At every meal all dogs have to sit before they are given their meals, he does this well. Most days when I come home from work he is at the door wagging his tail and when I come out he goes and gets a ball or a chew toy and I throw it and he fetches. At night or at least last night it was time to come in and get in the crates. He started towards his crate then decided he wanted to go back out and I went to grab his collar and he snapped at me. All our dogs have their own crates and come in every night to sleep in crates. The only time they are free to sleep wherever is when we camp in our pop up camper.

Sean
Sblanck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Sean, I have a beagle mix puppy. Is is very growly. He growls when he plays. He even growls in his sleep. He also growls when he doesn't like something. He doesn't like to be told to get off a lap, off the bed, or go in his crate. This is why I highly recommend keeping him leashed. When he is on the bed, use the leash to pull him off. When he doesn't want to go in his crate, toss a treat in there.

Did the owner say why he was giving this dog up? Do you know where he had this training? If so, I would look at the facility to see what type of training they would have done with him.

It is imperative that this dog go to a vet to rule out any medical causes for his behaviors. If he is fine physically, find a behaviorist. If you are having trouble finding one, contact a rescue group - preferably a beagle or hound rescue. They should be able to help you find someone who can evaluate your dog and get to the root of the problem.

You came here for help. And we want to do that. We are limited in what we can do, since we have not seen your dog and how he interacts with you and your family. Being there would enable us to observe and provide us with invaluable information. That is why you need someone to come in and evaluate him. What are you willing to do? Are you open to taking him to the vet? Are you willing to find a behaviorist? Are you willing to work with him to change his unwanted behaviors and help him become a dog who CAN fit into your pack? No one is saying it will be easy, but it is not impossible.

Why did his original owner give him up? Does he/she know the problems you are having and would he be willing to take the dog back? If you decide you absolutely cannot keep this dog, please don't just dump him in the pound. Contact some rescue groups. Exhaust all your possibilities, before you give up on him. Don't let it cost him his life, if he can be helped. You live in North Texas? Could you give us the name of the nearest big town/city near you? I (and I'm sure others) will start looking for rescues that may be able to help you.

Jan
Old 02-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

DFW Beagle Buddies | Dallas/Fort Worth Texas Beagle Rescue and Adoption

Here's one. I'll post some more.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Beagle Rescue Links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement