Aggressive beagle - Page 2 - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

Sean, I have a beagle mix puppy. Is is very growly. He growls when he plays. He even growls in his sleep. He also growls when he doesn't like something. He doesn't like to be told to get off a lap, off the bed, or go in his crate. This is why I highly recommend keeping him leashed. When he is on the bed, use the leash to pull him off. When he doesn't want to go in his crate, toss a treat in there.

Did the owner say why he was giving this dog up? Do you know where he had this training? If so, I would look at the facility to see what type of training they would have done with him.

It is imperative that this dog go to a vet to rule out any medical causes for his behaviors. If he is fine physically, find a behaviorist. If you are having trouble finding one, contact a rescue group - preferably a beagle or hound rescue. They should be able to help you find someone who can evaluate your dog and get to the root of the problem.

You came here for help. And we want to do that. We are limited in what we can do, since we have not seen your dog and how he interacts with you and your family. Being there would enable us to observe and provide us with invaluable information. That is why you need someone to come in and evaluate him. What are you willing to do? Are you open to taking him to the vet? Are you willing to find a behaviorist? Are you willing to work with him to change his unwanted behaviors and help him become a dog who CAN fit into your pack? No one is saying it will be easy, but it is not impossible.

Why did his original owner give him up? Does he/she know the problems you are having and would he be willing to take the dog back? If you decide you absolutely cannot keep this dog, please don't just dump him in the pound. Contact some rescue groups. Exhaust all your possibilities, before you give up on him. Don't let it cost him his life, if he can be helped. You live in North Texas? Could you give us the name of the nearest big town/city near you? I (and I'm sure others) will start looking for rescues that may be able to help you.

Jan
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

This is the site we got him off of.
Texas Beagle Rescue ADOPTIONS *RescueMe.Org

His training was done at Mans best friend and I have the receipt showing $1000.00

Wife says he is being extra playful today.

Previous owner says this beagle had to go because his wife adopted two larger breeds and the three of them got into a fight over some meat that fell on the floor. The beagle needed emergency surgery to repair damage to his ear. You can see one of his ears looks funny.

I will keep working with him.

Sean
Sblanck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

OH! It sounds like the dog fight could be at the root of this. He may have become fear aggressive toward other dogs and feels the need to lash out first. So he came from an actual rescue. Have you contacted them about his behavior? They should be able to give you guidance and recommend a good behaviorist. Was he in a foster home? Did you have the chance to talk to the foster about his behavior?

I am so glad you are willing to work with him. In the event all else fails, the rescue should be willing to take him back. I hope they offer him a safety net. Most rescues do.
I really think your boy can come around. Sometimes we just need to figure out what makes them tick.

I'm sorry I don't know anything about Mans Best Friend. I will ask around. Perhaps you could contact them to see what type of training was done? I'm sure smarter people will chime in soon. Be firm, but patient. I wish you the best of luck.

Jan
Old 02-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

I belong to a GSD forum and did a quick search there of Man's Best Friend. It sounds like a "send away your dog for two week of training" type school. I don't know if that is always the case. I can say I am not a fan of sending dogs away for training. A lot of them come back messed up.

My gut tells me that your dog being attacked and "IF" he was sent away for training are two potentially huge reasons for his behavior. It sounds like the poor guy has been through a lot.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

Operation Kindness, the large no-kill shelter in North Texas has a very helpful website:
North Texas' Oldest and Largest No-Kill Animal Shelter | Operation Kindness | Saving animals since 1976

Contact information:
3201 Earhart Drive
Carrollton, TX 75006

972-418-PAWS

They may be an excellent resource for you.
ljas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #16 (permalink)

Default Aggressive beagle

I'm with you Natty Boh I'm not a fan of send them away type training. It totally misses the mark when it comes to training. The training is for both dog and owner. People miss out on the bonding time with their dog. Sadly in our society people want perfect pets without putting any effort into it.

To the original poster...
I have had dogs that had "issues" after they were involved in a serious dog fight. For some it leaves a permanent mark on them.
I'm glad you are willing to work with your beagle. I hope you can get him to a behavioralist as I think his issues are very fixable by the right person. Sometimes it takes an outsider to show us what we can't see. I am so glad you have him. At least he has a better chance than his first owner.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #17 (permalink)

Default Aggressive beagle

Here is a update to a link I posted earlier. It sure makes me think !!

http://www.petmd.com/blogs/purelypup...r#.URLZDRG9KSM

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #18 (permalink)

Sean, Sorry for my continued posts. I just can't get your boy out of my mind. The only advice I wanted to add was to really up his obedience. You obviously understand beagles. You have enough history with them. Your new boy, for whatever reason, is damaged. You need to help him move forward. It is amazing how doing obedience can rid the dog of so many issues. It increases the bond between dog and owner. Try to provide a little one on one time with him. Do basic commands. Treat and praise.

My6beagles is a wealth of information. I'm sure she could give you lots of advice in helping the new boy to assimilate into the pack.

I'm going to try to be quiet now. LOL!

Jan
Old 04-19-2013, 04:06 AM   #19 (permalink)

In the event all else fails

Advertisement