Any runners? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Any runners?

I searched and didn't see anything on this...

Are beagles ok jogging partners? I know they're small but they do have energy and stamina, from what I am reading. Does anyone know of any good sites I can go to for easing a dog into a jogging schedule? I'm sure it's nothing that can start until he is full grown but I just wondered....
RunningMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

We do little sprints with Millie when out on a walk but she does tend to run in front of you trying to trip you up. My boyfriend likes going on longer runs but he also is waiting till shed fully grown to do that with her. I think she will have the stamina to keep up and she would properly really enjoy it because she loves to run but like I said there is the chance they are gonna trip you up by running all over the place and round you or stopping suddenly when they catch a scent.
ruthc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

My adult dog runs with me, but I jog-I don't run.

He tripped me a few times during the first few runs, but I yelled as I almost went down and he hasn't since. I brace myself when we pass other dogs, but when we're running, he goes less crazy to play with them. It's worked out well, and it's like a job for him that he takes seriously. I alternate my running days with his dog-run days, so we each have our days to "play".

We jog between 6 and 9 miles each week.
jenhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Awesome. I just have to figure out what he can handle and at what age. I don't do crazy-long distances...just 5-6 miles at a time most of the time. Maybe I need to ask the vet how to best go about it?
RunningMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Any runners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningMom View Post
Awesome. I just have to figure out what he can handle and at what age. I don't do crazy-long distances...just 5-6 miles at a time most of the time. Maybe I need to ask the vet how to best go about it?
Great idea asking the vet. My vet didn't want Lena running agility until she was 18 months old. I let her run no impact exercises like the tunnel until she was old enough.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

I agee - let your vet guide you. Beagles can run distances if, like humans, they work up to it. One of my sons runs cross-country, and Sophie loves to go on a 4 or 5 mile run. She doesn't run when it is overly hot or humid, or when it is too cold. You do have to train your dog how to run with you without tripping you - teaching them how to heel first is very helpful.
ljas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement