What is most important for new owners? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 11:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What is most important for new owners?

Hi!
We are getting our beagle puppy this weekend so I'm here to learn all I can about the breed in the meantime - I've been checking out the forum and admiring your pups

I'd like to know, from experienced beagle owners, what is the most important thing for people to know about beagles? What makes them different from other breeds?

We are very dog-experienced but we have always had large dogs and rescues. This will be our first smaller dog and our first purebred. We've had breeds that people deem more "difficult"...a husky, and all manner of mixes in and out as we foster. But never a beagle. What should I know that may not be on the basic wiki-pages?
RunningMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 01:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

I too have always had big dogs before my beagle, dobermans, Rottweiler, golden lab, golden retriever and out of all of them my beagle is the most fun by a long way. People say they are hard to train but I just think you need to be extremely consistent from the off. I took Brynn to obedience classes from 12 weeks old and after 4 weeks he was moved up to the advanced class so I've had no problem training him and he is an absolute joy to work with. I also had him completely house trained in just over a week. One word if advice, don't and keep your Beagle off the sofa as you are wasting your time lol. Enjoy your puppyWhat is most important for new owners?-imageuploadedbypg-free1360045600.390749.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
JaakeTod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Let's see, what to know about beagles. Potty training can be a bit slow with some beags, just keep at it and keep a routine. Learn to watch for their very subtle signs that they need to go out. They can be escape artists and are very smart so be sure any doors, dogs gates, fences etc are secure. They LOVE to be around the family and will most likely pick a person to follow around.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

I've really thought about your question. Since you've had rescues you might know what can happen to a dog improperly socialized. I currently have two that were never socialized prior to coming to us and they still years later have manageable issues. Just make sure you socialize the heck out of your little beagle. By nature beagles are loving,very laid back and easy going so as long as they are properly socialized everything will be fine. Don't ever leave food were they can reach it because they will. They are pack animals so they will be everywhere you are. Mine love kids. People will tell you they are hard to train and you will never be able to have them off leash. I've never had much trouble training mine whether its potty,obedience or agility. The possibilities are what you make them. The beagle breed is truly amazing to me.

Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

I agree with all of the above. If you've had a husky, shepherds/mixes, and large rescues, then you are used to intelligent, stubborn, but loveable animals. I have found my beagle to be the easiest to train. She is loveable, cuddly but not clingy, and tends to reguard all of the family as her pack - unlike so many of the large breeds I have dealt with, she is not a one person dog.

Beagles seem to be very adaptable once they are secure. Changes don't faze Sophie, and she is very easy to travel with. Beagles seem to be very patient - she once went and met a couple of hundred elementary school students in less than an hour - she was fine with all of the physical contact - everyone wanted to touch her! And Sophie was a rescue - when we got her, we couldn't even touch her!

The one thing that you should know is that beagles are esentially two big brown eyes attached to a nose and a stomach. Beagles are slaves to their nose, which is why you should be careful abour letting them off lead. They will be so absorbed in the scent that they actually don't hear you. A lot of intensive training can help that, but be very, very careful.

Beagles love to eat, and can quickly and easily eat themselves into obesity. Chew toys are a must! Beagles love to play, and if no one will throw a toy for Sophie, she will toss it into the air herself.

Beagles are amazing animals, and are fun to watch and play with. Like many dogs, they need consistent training.

Enjoy your beagle!!!!!

Last edited by ljas; 02-05-2013 at 11:11 AM.
ljas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

This is great! Thank you so much for your thoughtful responses!

We have had dozens of fosters in and out (one at a time) as we worked with local rescue groups, and our resident dog is an elderly husky. It sounds like huskies and beagles are similar as far as being escape artists and unreliable off-leash, so that won't be an adjustment at all. Very good to know. We also had a mastiff mix that we had sooooo much trouble potty-training....I think he was 7 months old before something clicked. Hoping it doesn't take that long LOL

I pick my son up at preschool every day at noon, so I'm hoping to bring the pup with me so that we can start him very early being bombproof around kids. That's a huge sticking point for us and if nothing else, we want our dog to be good with kids. It's one of the main reasons we are getting a beagle at all....we want a kid-sized dog that is not delicate or overly nippy/yappy like many other small breeds.

I just noticed that many of you have more than one and I wondered what it is about beagles that sets them apart. Thanks so much!
RunningMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Runningmom
Welcome! Puppy beagles do tend to be nippy/bitey so prepare for that and get to training against that behavior especially since you have children.
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

I would say patience!
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

What sets a beagle apart? How much time do you have ? I have/had many different breeds and I always think the beagle is the best. Although the Black and Tan coonhound is a very close second in my heart. 99% of the beagles I know are kind,gentle,forgiving and loyal to a fault. Not much bothers them. There is nothing better than a pack of beagles piled up on a couch(most of them snoring). Don't get me wrong I love all dogs. But in the end I will always own beagles and lots of them.

You do know what a three dog night is?? About ten degrees outside with three beagles under the covers with you. Now that's living!!

Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

I haven't noticed that beagle puppies are any different than other breeds - they all go through a 'mouthy' stage.
ljas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement