Sight vs. Scent - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sight vs. Scent

My partner and I have a 4-year-old Beagle, Tayo. We've noticed that he relies very heavily on his sense of smell, as his primary sense. And of course this is the way Beagles are. But do Beagles have poor vision?? Or does ours?? Sometimes Tayo seems to either ignore visual cues or not be using his eyes at all.

For example, when we were out for a walk, there was a large, flat rock which miraculously had 4 pieces of dog kibble on top of it. Tayo smelled it as we were passing it, and jumped up to eat the kibble. Then he proceeded to sniff every inch of that rock, very thoroughly, to make sure he hadn't missed any food. To me, it was so obvious with just a quick glance, that there was no more food. The rock was maybe 2 feet in diameter and you could just look and SEE that there was no more food. But clearly he trusts his nose more than his eyes...

Then last night, my partner broke up a slice of bacon into 3 or 4 pieces, and crouched down with her outstretched hands to let Tayo eat the bacon. Instead of just seeing the bacon in her palm and eating it, Tayo first sniffed both of her hands very thoroughly, and it took several seconds for his nose to lead him to the pieces of bacon. Why doesn't he just look and SEE which hand has the bacon in it?

Is this normal? Does our Beagle have a vision problem??
BrittaTayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Sight vs. Scent

Very normal for a beagle. This is what happened at agility class yesterday. Mae while doing the weave poles was popping out before completing the last pole. She was looking at me to give her a treat. So to help her look ahead I started tossing a tasty treat when she entered the eighth pole. On more than one occasion she missed the treat being tossed and never saw the piece of chicken laying directly in front of her. But after a second or two I told her to find it and the nose went into action and she found it. She will run right past a treat on the floor only to stop suddenly(I have almost killed myself trying to not fall over her) because her nose knows there's something around. When a beagle is out hunting they will push thru heavy under brush and thickets only using their nose. They will close their eyes and rely only on their nose.
The girls stood like this for several minutes before i realized there were several deer in the field nearby. They never saw them but they knew they were nearby. At the time we had about 6-8 that stayed in the fields and woods between us and our neighbor.

Sight vs. Scent-imageuploadedbypg-free1359905622.627891.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

What an absolutely fantastic picture My6.

I agree it sounds like perfectly normal behaviour to me, even my cat will miss seeing food but will smell it out.........eventually
Old 02-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you, My6 and Berri!! I feel better now. My6, that's a great picture of your beagles.
BrittaTayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

I am so glad you posted this question, because I have been thinking about sight vs. scent too.

My puppy is a mix. He definitely has the beagle nose and follows his nose. There can be a cat a few feet away and he will follow it's scent rather than look at it. One day, we were about a block behind my son, when he got off the school bus. Natty Boh had his nose to the ground following my son's scent down the street. He was very excited knowing it was my son, but not once did he look up - until my son stopped. LOL!

My question about vision is this..... My puppy is also part bird dog. Does anyone know if they rely more on vision. When Natty Boh is in the house, he often sits calmly and looks out the window observing the birds and squirrels. He just sits and watches, but doesn't bark at them. Once in a while, he will catch sight of something else and start barking. Sometimes it is a cat.

One day he was looking out and started barking. I looked to see what it was. There was a person in the yard on the next street. I know dogs have an excellent sense of hearing and smell, but we were inside, with the house all shut up. He saw the person and in order to do that, he had to look through the glass, through the deck railings (deck is a second story deck), over a shed, between trees and shrubs, to spot this person in the side yard next to the house. She was in a far corner and I only saw her, because Boh saw her. Is it unusual for them to use their eyes like that?
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Sight vs. Scent

I'm not sure about this one. I understood that Beagles have good vision and Archie seems to. He'll sniff out anything but he'll also see squirrels, rabbits etc from a distance, provided of course that they're moving. He'll always sniff around for food, even when it's all gone but I've never thought his vision was poor and he does see small things, e.g. tonight I was making my lunch for tomorrow and dropped a couple of bits of sweet corn on the kitchen floor. Archie saw them hit the floor and they were gone in a matter of seconds! It might be worth asking the vet about it next time you're in there but doubt its anything to worry about

GHughes17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

My dogs use both sight and scent. They tend to use scent first but they will watch out the window and howl when they see other dogs or people and they can only see and not smell them. So I would say that the nose leads but the eyes validate.
btomlin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Sight vs. Scent

As the previous poster mentioned if you are concerned check with your vet. Don't hesitate and get a referral from your to a veterinarian ophthalmologist. They aren't much more than a regular vet visit.

That said mine watch for squirrels,cats,DEER,crazy neighbor dude and their best buddy little neighbor girl. They see what they want when they want. Typical beagle.

Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement