Attention seeker - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Attention seeker

Last week (26th Jan) I got my adorable little Baxter who luckily settled into my place right away. He's happy, bouncy and curious and although a little bit naughty, constantly makes me laugh or smile. However, now that we're sort of leaving what I consider the honeymoon period of Bax having my undivided time and attention he seems to be getting a bit frustrated with me. I'm in my final year at university so I only have to be out of the house one day a week (which is when my boyfriend takes over) but obviously i have things to do during the day (like laundry) which he can't exactly be involved in.
Before, i would have waited for him to fall asleep before doing anything but now i've realised that i can't keep running by his schedule and i feel like he's being a bit dramatic about losing my attention. He'll sit as far away from me as possible and whimper or just sit silently and stare and if i try to encourage him to play with me he just tries to bite my hand, or walks and sits somewhere else. Normally he's really lovely and playful but today he just seems moody and sullen, is there anything i can do short of sacrificing my own schedule to play with him all day?
chantel and bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Personally I wouldn't knock the sitting and watching you. Berri tries to get into the washing machine if we try and load it with her out of her crate which is really trying on the patience. I'm a new dog owner myself so I'm sure others will have much better advice to give you but I would try not to attribute too many human emotions to your pup. I'd say he is probably perfectly happy sitting in a corner watching you.

Berri also bites us when we play- its a puppy thing and she'll only play when she wants to.Its almost like having a kid, you need a balance of being with them and allowing them to learn to entertain themselves. Thats just my opinion though and its not a very experienced one but it sounds like you are doing fine and don't have too much to worry about
Old 02-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Right now this is one of our main issues. Cassie wants constant attention. I can't be out of her sight or she whines or barks. Im siting here right now where she is and she is pawing my arm since I don't have 100% attention on her. She wants to sit on my lap. I would allow it but I'm at the dining room table and I don't want her to think its ok to sit on these chairs and have access to the table. So right now she is whining.

If she's outside and I am inside and I walk bye its like she has a rocket on her butt and charges into the house. The whining and barking is really annoying. I'm trying hard not to respond to her but it's a contest of who breaks first...

I'm letting her around the house under supervision but I can't always allow her to be everywhere.
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rascal won't sleep in her own bed! We keep pushing her out and telling her 'Go to bed' but she keeps jumping up and burrowing under the covers
When we take a nap, we let her on the bed because it's 'nap time'
She doesn't seem to want to learn the difference between 'nap time' and 'bed time'
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

To the dog, there's no difference between nap and bed, they just don't think that way. You're going to have to either allow it all the time or not at all.

As for the attention-seeking. . .beagles are pack dogs and if there are no other dogs, you become the pack. You have to firmly and consistently reinforce desired behavior and discourage unwanted behavior.

Frankly, I let the beagles cling. If I'm on the couch, all four sit or sleep on the rest of it (I sit at one end). Sometimes it can be difficult cooking a meal with four beagles and a shih tzu milling around, but I have learned not to step back without checking behind me first and they have learned to stay out of the way when I'm walking from sink to stove to counter to fridge.

It is somewhat easier when you have more than one, they will often amuse one another rather than always depending on me for fun. Another great distraction method is to put them on a down-stay out of the way but where they can still see me, and pass out rawhides or baked beef bones (which I take away after a while to keep them a high-value treat).
Hsaiotei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Maybe we will! Hate to do that though
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement