New Beagle Owner - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 09:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy New Beagle Owner

Hi!
We are new owners of a male Beagle mix and he is awesome. We are having some problems... Max is 15 lbs he's getting fixed in a little over a week... he is very agressive towards the kids, barks alot and is bitting, more teething bitting. My daughters hands are all scratched up pretty bad. My son is scared of him. Will getting him fixed help? What kind of things can we do to help teach him? I tried one friends suggestion of coins in a can and you shake them at him, that just made him more agressive. Pleae help, we rescued him and love him, but am starting to wonder if we should have stayed with "just" cats.
Thank you,
Jennifer
jlszarjeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default want to add

Our Beagle is a Beagle Terrier Mix
Old 02-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

You should read up on preventing puppy biting and nipping-get a book or go to the internet on how to prevent it as the behavior is not good in the long term. You can find a lot of discussion previously posted on the subject on this forum by going to "search" in the above tool bar and put in biting, nipping, bite inhibition. You should also get your dog into obedience class. Also I recommend using a clicker to train the dog-another topic to look up.

Don't play tug of war games which excites the dog into biting. Dont sit on the floor and play with the dog as you are at the same level and they will bite you when you are in that position. Do not leave small children un-monitored at this stage as the dog bites as you already indicated. I recommend a crate and give your dog period naps in it-when puppies are tired they tend to bite .

And NO, the fixing will not stop the biting-it is consistent training. My dog was bitey as a puppy and now at a year she doesn't do it and hasn't for awhile-but it took a lot of training.

Oh...and Welcome! You will find a lot of useful information here.
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Welcome!
Definitely getting fixed will help, but it sounds like you need a good dog trainer and/or obedience class ASAP, especially if kids are involved. Terriers are known to be willful and beagles can be willful and stubborn as well. In the interim, be kind and loving but firm. I would say "NO!" when the the dog is mouthy on the kids and praise him when he stops.
Good luck!
jenhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Thank you

Thank you for your responses and I am planning on obedience class for sure! I have been napping him in his crate. He is a good dog and we love him. I will look up the topics you suggested. Much much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement