Today's walk in the park - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Today's walk in the park

Every Friday Cassie and I meet up with a friend and her Chihuahua for a walk in the park. Today the weather was beautiful and about 75 degrees at 11:30 am. Cassie wears a harness to help with the walking (but she pulls anyway). After about 15 minutes Cassie's tongue was hanging out so we stopped for a rest and I gave her water which she took readily. After the rest we walked some more and again Cassie was straining...another rest and more water, lying down. Our walk only lasted about 30 minutes counting the rests as I didn't want to push it. The Chihuahua didn't seem affected at all.

It has been cooler for the last several weeks and the walking was not a problem. Last summer I walked with Cassie about 8:00am with the same issue-I thought that since she was 6 months she couldn't tolerate the walk. She is otherwise healthy and friskie. I have noticed that she doesn't run around crazy as much any more.

Anyway, we'll have to meet earlier in the day so hopefully it will be better. I'm just a little surprised at her stamina-any input is appreciated. Have you experienced this?

I'm wondering about the stamina of Beagles.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 01:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Today's walk in the park

Beagles are hunting dogs and are bred to have excellent stamina. A beagle should be able to run for hours on end, I know mine does. In fact I can honestly say I've never seen Brynn pant once yet (only had him 5 weeks).
A dog shouldn't pull when on a lead and a at a good obedience class the first thing you should be taught is how to get your dog walking nicely beside you. I'd recommend using a slip lead, I also used a Halti collar for a couple of weeks which got Brynn into the habit of keep his head up whilst walking. These worked a treat for me. I would maybe consult a vet though if your dog is struggling to last on a walk though as like I said, a Beagle should have great stamina

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
JaakeTod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Some of our walks with Berri last an hour and a half and she runs around throughout most of this time and has not once wanted to sit or lie down. But the big difference here in the UK is the weather. Its a lot colder than 75 deg so maybe its the heat that is the issue?
Old 02-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Have a chat with Cassie's vet about your observations and your concerns.

Jesse can run (trot) along side me for 2 to 3 miles and still be ahead of me, pulling slightly (but not dragging me or anything.) It's winter here, but some days are in the 40's and 50's.

Good luck!
jenhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

Was it very humid? That could affect how long Cassie can walk. Chihuahuas are originally from Mexico - they will handle heat and humidity differently. That said, beagles have a great deal of stamina. Sophie and I walk for hours in all sorts of weather with no problem.

I agree that you should take Cassie to the vet. Does she get heartworm preventative? Have you notice any other changes in her behavior?
ljas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you all for your concerns and suggestions. That evening she threw up her dinner in her crate. I felt so bad for her. She did go to the vet and checked out fine. She got the heartworm vaccine as a preventative. She's been friskie and playful since. We haven't walked in the park yet. Will see how it goes next time.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement