Boh's first obedience class - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 04:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Boh's first obedience class

I wasn't real happy with the class. Maybe it's me. Maybe I'm too touchy. You can tell me. I can handle it. It's been a LOOOONG time since I had a puppy and have gone to a class. Sometime in the 90s. Perhaps things are different now.

First off - last week was orientation, without the dogs. We were told to work on Sit, Wait, and to do 30 minutes on the leash, with the dog staying at our side. That was easy, because Boh already know those things. I thought we would do the commands in class, but we didn't. Instead, we had to do Stand and Heel. Boh doesn't know stand. Personally, I have no use for the command. It won't hurt him to learn it. He is very smart. I just wish the trainer had told us to teach it. Heel - We are required to use a prong in class. I don't have a problem with the prong. I've used one before. Boh responds very well to the prong. I taught him to heel at home. (Apparently, the old fashioned way.) I have him sit on my left. I hold the loop of the leash in my right hand. I take up the slack with my left hand. I still keep it somewhat loose. Boh heels nicely at my side. In class, we are instructed to hold the leash in both hands at waist level. We are to walk briskly and turn abruptly. The abrupt turn causes the prong to pinch. It is supposed to encourage the dog to watch us, anticipate our moves to avoid the pinch. Sure, Boh can learn that too, but why, if he can already heel? Maybe I am too nice, but when I walk him on the prong, I even give him warnings. If he starts going too fast, I tell him whoa, so he avoids the pinch.

OK, the worst thing... I don't think the instructor likes Natty Boh. We were all sitting with our dogs. Their leashes were under our butts. Boh was being good, until the puppy next to us did a play bow. Boh got excited and started to bark. He wanted to play and he barks when he wants to play. The trainer had some compressed air and sprayed it at Boh. No, it didn't hurt him and he needs to learn to be quiet. What bothered me is that she did this to him twice, but never to any other dog. There were dogs barking just as much, ir not more than Boh. Boh just went under my chair and was quiet.

I don't feel like I learned anything. OR - that Boh learned anything. The only good thing is that he gets to work around the other dogs. And Boh adores other dogs.

SIGH! Just not what I expected.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sad to hear of your experience. What type of training facility was this? I'm not into the big box chain store obedience training. There is two facilities within a half hour that are run by private individuals near me. I don't know but it just seems to me I like the family owned type is a little better. I'm also a member of a local dog club that offers training. I have found this to be very helpful.
Now since I'm one of those girls that thinks if you mess with my dog your messing with me types. I don't think the trainer would ever use compressed air on my dog without me opening up on them. Look I can't imagine why anyone would ever use compressed air to stop a puppy from being a PUPPY!! Personally I'd look for a different place to go.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

The class is taught at a small boutique pet store, but the trainer has her own school. The pet store is just one venue. Here is the information about her. I changed her name and took out the name of her school and the names of everything else too. She may be very good, I'm just not feeling it.

Meet our award-winning dog obedience trainer. Jane has over 37 years of dog training experience and has been teaching group classes and providing in-home behavior counseling and training since 1990.

Jane has served as chair of the city's Vicious Dog Hearing Board, as a Board Member of the SPCA for a decade (as well as Committee Member and Chair for the last 16 years), as Intake Coordinator for a Golden Retriever Rescue, Rescue Chair and Recording Secretary of a Flatcoasted Retriever Club, and member of a Training Club and a Flyball Team. She has appeared on numerous local and national television and radio programs and has been extensively quoted in Country Living magazine.

Jane enjoys hunt training and flyball with her 3 dogs.

Yes, I will absolutely explode. I will not allow my dog to be bullied. I'll try not to get us thrown out of class and embarrass my daughter. Oh heck, It's not like it would be the first time.

Thank you for your input!
Old 01-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

I don't think she likes beagles! If it were me I wouldn't go back! Prong collars are not necessary. You taught Boh without it.
Maybe the teacher wanted to spray YOU instead!
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

I don't use a prong collar, just a slip lead and that is more than adequate. If anyone sprayed my dog they would need dental reconstruction haha. Find another obedience class if I was you

JaakeTod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Maybe the trainer is too "old school". Some trainers believe in a more aggressive approach to training. That doesn't usually work nearly as well as tasty treat and a whole lot of loving.

Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Oh that's terrible and I don't think acceptable to do that to the dog. She didn't give any warnings that she would do that?! I would have a private conversation with her and say that apparantly this is not a mutually good arrangement and ask for your money back for the remaining class .

I went to a K9 class taught by 3 Sheriff Officers who do rescue and law enforcement (attack dogs) and they were nothing but kind and patient and there were 15 dogs in that class...and it was Cassie going in the opposite direction from everyone else ...lol
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

I would leave. Our trainer just asks us to turn our dogs away from each other if they bark and try to play with each other.

I've no experience apart from my 2 classes I've been to but our trainer is keen for us to keep using any method we've been using at home, she just shows us her way in case we haven't tried it and gives us tips but she certainly doesn't force us to teach something completely different to what we've been using.

Not good for you or Boh
Old 02-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you for the input. I sure wish I was in class with you and Berri. SIGH! I will try talking to the trainer - see if she is open to letting us do things our way. I will leave, before I allow this to have a negative impact on Boh. We'll lose the money, but I'd rather lose that than my pup's spirit.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Surely she should have stated her preferred training methods on her web site. When I was looking they tended to say if they ised clicker training or another method which I can't remember.

Hope you get it sorted or next lesson is better. How long is the course? Ours is 6 weeks, so 4 left.