Boh's first obedience class - Page 2 - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 11:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

Don't go back there. Find a trainer that you are comfortable with and who has a style similar to yours. If you are not comfortable with her your dog may pick up on some tension. This may cause him to act out and that may make things worse. I would leave now. Besides I don't think I like her.
Kapoohski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berri View Post
Surely she should have stated her preferred training methods on her web site. When I was looking they tended to say if they ised clicker training or another method which I can't remember.

Hope you get it sorted or next lesson is better. How long is the course? Ours is 6 weeks, so 4 left.
Thanks Berri. In all honesty, her website was more about the her and how great she is and how long she has been training - Her time with rescues and being on a fly ball team. I actually knew someone who took classes at this venue, but unfortunately, I now believe that was with a different trainer. I most definitely should have done more research. Next time, I will do more research and sit in on a class, before I commit. Lesson learned.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapoohski View Post
Don't go back there. Find a trainer that you are comfortable with and who has a style similar to yours. If you are not comfortable with her your dog may pick up on some tension. This may cause him to act out and that may make things worse. I would leave now. Besides I don't think I like her.
I LOVE your post. It totally cracked me up - especially your last sentence. When I read it, I burst out laughing. Totally agree. I don't think I like her either. I am looking into other classes. I will let y'all know.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

Pawsitive Paul's Dog Training in Baltimore, Maryland

I was looking at this trainer. I think he could be a good match for us. Even has a little agility course. And.....Are you seeing the hound pictures? LOL! If anyone wants to look it over, let me know you initial thoughts. I will definitely explore it further.

Thank you for all of your responses and support. It means so much!
Jan
Old 02-03-2013, 05:30 AM   #15 (permalink)

Looks really good Love the video with the dog that goes through the tunnel and comes out looking stunned

Keep us updated oh and if you find out how to combat ignoring commands let me know As we are dicovering Beagles only like to listen when it suits them
Old 02-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #16 (permalink)

Hi Berri
Try using a clicker with your commands and then...of course a little treat when the dog follows the command. It just takes awhile to get them consistently responding to your commands.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #17 (permalink)

I didn't like our obedience class either. I felt the trainer was disorganized and hadn't planned out the lesson time well. She tried very hard to differentiate the instruction according to what the dogs and owners needed, but she ended up having lots of private conversations and not teaching the whole class. I asked for my money back, and the trainer reluctantly gave me a refund for the remaining three classes.

Now I'm using a personal trainer for just $5 more per class. I realize that I am 'old school' and like to use a choke and reprimand for bad behavior but that trainers these days just reward and never scold. My trainer told me she doesn't like to make dogs do anything they don't want to do. IMHO, that's what training is for-to make dogs do what the owner wants them to do. But, I'm going with the flow and trying to be mellow and positive.

I can't believe Boh's trainer prayed him with air for barking! That's awful and I would like to think I would have protested-but I probably would have been to shocked to react quickly enough.

Good luck!
jenhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #18 (permalink)

Me too! Jen.
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenhardy View Post
I didn't like our obedience class either. I felt the trainer was disorganized and hadn't planned out the lesson time well. She tried very hard to differentiate the instruction according to what the dogs and owners needed, but she ended up having lots of private conversations and not teaching the whole class. I asked for my money back, and the trainer reluctantly gave me a refund for the remaining three classes.

Now I'm using a personal trainer for just $5 more per class. I realize that I am 'old school' and like to use a choke and reprimand for bad behavior but that trainers these days just reward and never scold. My trainer told me she doesn't like to make dogs do anything they don't want to do. IMHO, that's what training is for-to make dogs do what the owner wants them to do. But, I'm going with the flow and trying to be mellow and positive.

I can't believe Boh's trainer prayed him with air for barking! That's awful and I would like to think I would have protested-but I probably would have been to shocked to react quickly enough.

Good luck!
Jen, You make me laugh. I don't disagree with your training techniques. There are as many ways to train a dog as raise a kid. No technique works for every dog. It is up to us to know our dog and know what works for him. One size does NOT fit all.

My German Shepherd was not food motivated. She was sensitive to correction and responded strongly to praise. She was very biddable and eager to please. Boh is VERY food motivated. He is not sensitive and could care less about praise or pleasing me. Different breeds. Different dogs. Different methods. Yes, I do use stronger corrections on Boh. Otherwise, he just doesn't get it.

Jan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement