Walking off lead - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Walking off lead

Anybody brave enough to walk their beagles off the lead?
I would love to let Millie run around off the lead on the beach and so on but I've read that they tend not to come back to you.
I don't think she would come back to me either because even on the lead she doesn't always respond to me she just follows her nose and goes where she wants to and most the time doesn't even give me a second glace if I call her name.
ruthc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Natty Boh does not have very good recall. No way I would allow him off leash.

my6beagles does agility and has really well trained dogs. Hopefully, she will chime in. Meanwhile, I can dream.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hubby takes Rascal rabbit hunting. Rascal has great recall! She even wiggled out of her Easy Walker harness after we first adopted her and she came galloping back to me!
Rascal keeps her nose to the ground too when we are out. I have new calluses on my feet from holding her back!
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Walking off lead

Ruth
Personally I would get a really long lead(20 feet) and practice recall. The long lead allows your pup to wander around then you can try to recall. The key to training recall is a really high value treat and acting like its the best thing that ever happened. The other thing is when calling your dog don't call them more than a couple times. If not response use the long lead and bring them back to you. When you call over and over with no response it's sort of like asking your husband twenty times to do something. After a while they stop listening.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy

Last edited by My6beagles; 01-30-2013 at 06:18 PM.
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Walking off lead

I let Archie (2.5 year old) off the lead in wooded areas and away from traffic (for example, and noting you are from the Wirral, Eastham Woods, Rivacre Valley, etc). He follows me round and will happily have a play with other dogs and then catch me up when I call. Every now and then he'll catch the scent of a fox and he'll sniff like crazy but again, he'll always catch me up, even if he ignores the first 2 or 3 calls. We've let him off the lead since he was a puppy and he's got better and better at recall but I'd never (I don't think) let him off near roads, just in case he saw a cat or other dog on the opposite side of the road.

Here he is pictured off the lead down at Rivacre Valley...

Walking off lead-imageuploadedbypg-free1359592929.758842.jpg

GHughes17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Walking off lead

I also carry treats and reward him for coming back to me. This is like a habit now. Everytime he comes back to me now he sits and waits for his treat! As suggested by My6beagles, I'd try a long lead and use rewards

Old 01-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Walking off lead

We also took him to training classes in Little Sutton at which recall was practised. He'd watch the other dogs in the class do it and then do it himself (again, reward based).

Old 01-30-2013, 09:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Our obedience class trained recall with a long leash. Cassie will come when called in the house or yard...I would be too worried to do it anywhere else--
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

Hi I'm taking her classes in upton where they are teaching recall and sometimes she does it but other times she wants to go run and play with the other dogs/people or see what treats the other people have she can stiff out n leave me making a fuss and trying to call her back looking like a fool then come back to me lol. In the house she responds to her name and will come back to me then and she's allowed in the garden where she doesn't always respond to her name but comes running over when you say "what's this" because that's seemed to just been what we say while giving her treats.
Would love to let her off in the woods she loves exploring and finding other dogs to play with and other people to greet and then she would be able to get a real good run around because I can't run with her for more then a couple minutes and she must think I'm holding her back haha. We do have a long extendable lead so I might just practice that on the golf course down the road see if she comes back to me outside, I don't think I would ever let her off near a road though either.
You just reminded me of Eastham woods GHughes17 that's her next day out now haha. It's not too far either as she hates being in the car. We took her to Prestatyn last weekend and it didn't take long in the car but she was so stressed and car sick I felt so bad, she loved it there but took like 2 hours to recover from the drive when we got home she drooled for ages after it.
ruthc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default Walking off lead

Try to use some really good treats that will outdo those of others. I started using chopped up sausage and then moved onto cooked liver and sometimes little blocks of cheese. He tended to recall well where it was going to be worth his while!!! Similarly at training classes. if someone has a better smelling treat thats where the nose will take them! Liver (pretty cheap in Tesco) was probably the best i used. Nowadays it's become habit that he comes back and I only really take out biscuits now. I can walk round Eastham and he'll do his own thing (play, sniff, chase squirrels etc) but he does keep close to me (no more than 25m) and does come to me when I call. Think you just have to keep at it but starting them young is definitely the best way to go! Good luck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement