Walking off lead - Page 2 - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 08:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

I can walk my two female beagle off the lead. I can take them in my yard and they will just follow me.
paulinespens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

I have been really nervous about letting Berri off the lead but my husband has tried it this week, mainly at quieter times so not too many dogs, cyclists and joggers and she has got on great. Apparently she has been belting across fields like a bat out of hell but has been coming back when called. She has been fairly consistent on the recall we have been doing on a short lead so whether that has helped I don't know.

The woods and fields near us are away from the roads so that helps - I would never let her off near a road. I guess its one of those things you need to just try if you really want to see how they go.

Good luck

Photos from the walk she is on now with hubby.
Attached Thumbnails
Walking off lead-img_4047.jpg   Walking off lead-img_0041.jpeg  

Last edited by Berri; 02-01-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Berri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

ok I don't know why the photo of berri on a rock is upside down. Its the right way up when I attach it!
Old 02-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #14 (permalink)

Aww I'm so jealous about all the well behaved dogs off the lead. Talking about other people and cyclists I've not really thought about that, she jumps up and everyone and trips up old people and jumps at little kids when she's on her lead so I guess I will have to try stop her doing that first. I'm not sure how yet. She turns into a kangaroo when she meets anybody. She's only still small at the moment but she needs to stop that before i let her off the lead I guess.
ruthc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #15 (permalink)

Berri does that too, although she has calmed down a bit compared to when we first got her. She still love to try and chase cyclists and joggers.

Apparently she met another beagle today on her walk who was about 18 months old and they had great fun playing with each other (both off the lead).

Yeh great but she came back mono coloured. Black from all the mud. A dirtier more wet dog i've never see. Straight in the bath for her!

To be honest I'll probably be more nervous about letting her off although the other Beagle owner advised having real tasty food with you for recall.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #16 (permalink)

It's illegal here in town to have your dog off lead off you property. So I don't get to let Rascal off her leash on my walks.
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #17 (permalink)

Hey Ruth, did you let Millie off her lead how did she get on??
Lolapup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #18 (permalink)

My beagle is offleash daily. We do many hikes we both our dogs (one is a rough collie and then the other is offcourse the beagle) sure he tracks and goes far. but he does come back. I always carry treats and reward both dogs for coming back. I want them to know I got something for them and there is a real reason to come to me. We dont go close to roads. we are out int he bush while walking. my fiance normally does anywhere from 5-10kms a day offleash with them. I do them same when I can. which is a few times a week. more in summer when we have day light much longer
LAD85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #19 (permalink)

I've not attempted it yet...I sometimes think Ooo it's quite and nobody is around maybe I should try but then get too scared and don't end up doing it. I just think about how devistated I would be if she ran off and I couldn't find her, she is microchipped and always has her name tag on outside but it still scares me. I think I will try one day.
ruthc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #20 (permalink)

Rascal is only off lead when my husband takes her rabbit hunting. (We don't know yet what she will do if she ever sees one!)
She wants to make friends with every cat she sees. So far no cat wants to make friends with her
She hasn't met a dog so far that she didn't want to meet! Total opposite of our first dog, Lucy.
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement