Crate trainning - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 06:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Crate trainning

Hello i've finnally was able to buy a good enough crate for my pup and he went right in exploring it when I set it up, I started putting him water and food bowl near the crate and everytime he did the comands I asked i'd put the treat inside the crate, after 1 day he now eats his food inside the crate but as soon as he finishes he comes out and lays on his bed which is right beside the crate, my question is, should I take out the bed? I don't know if it encourages not to lay in the crate, I know it's most likely too early for that just wanted to be sure the bed near the crate isn't gonna delay the crate trainning since my holidays are gone and he may feel lonely during the day
JohnyPepperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 07:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Crate trainning

The crate needs to be the bed. Make it nice and comfortable and your dog will soon enjoy being in there. Never put him in there as punishment, but you also have to be strict with him when you want him in there

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
JaakeTod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

I very rarely had to punish him, when I do it's just a time out in any room for 1-2 minutes he gets the message, thanks for the answear I suppose I should take the bed away, the crate is well comfortable :P, my goal with the crate is just to make him feel safe when i'm away.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

I put a towel and small fleece blanket in the crate. The blankets are inexpensive - about $3.00 here. (Do you have anything like WalMart in Portugal?) HA! Anyway, the small blankets are thin, soft and easy to wash. My pup seems quite comfy in his. I leave him a nylabone. I do not put any soft toys, or anything he might chew up and eat. I just offer my pup a treat to go in and shut the door behind him. Keep it simple.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks natty, I just have two regular blankets in there, in the site I use, I can't seem to find what you talked about (no walmart in here )
Old 01-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

I never feed my dog in the crate, but she ALWAYS gets a little treat when I put her in for naps and for night time so she thinks of that place as something good. She will go in her crate on her own to sleep sometimes. I also have a molded plastic kiddie pool with her toys and towels which she likes to go in also-she chewed up 2 nice beds...lol

I know the type of blankets Natty Boh is talking about but Cassie destroyed one of those awhile back. I cover her crate with an old table cloth which now has some chewed corners and a hole in the middle ...
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Johny, Walmart is a chain of retail department stores. The blankets I am talking about are the type people like to wrap up in to watch TV. The ones I got Boh are thinner and smaller. I fold them into quarters and they fit perfectly in his crate.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

Natty,I think I know what you mean now, and jesus christ, the pup barked horrendously tonight, he hasnt barked for 2 weeks at night, I suppose it's because I took his bed away? I'm putting it inside the crate it fits perfectly, might work
Old 01-31-2013, 05:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

Default Crate trainning

I have a bed inside my dogs crate he chewed the first 2 but I paid a bit more for a really strong anti chew one and I just lie a comfy blanket in there. I'd sleep in there to be fair and Brynn always happy to be in there

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
JaakeTod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

Problem solved he willingly goes in his crate now, doesn't bark at night, I had to put it in my bedroom, but that's fine I don't lock the door so he goes out to pee in the newspapers on the kitchen ( or at least around them ), gonna have to move the crate during day to the kitchen since i'm not at home hope it won't be a problem.

On other topic any of you had a beagle that walks literally on two legs when on leash? that's mine, I tried inside the house today, he will finnaly be able to walk outside next week maybe he will be more shy outside and let me guide him this pup is hyper!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement