Introducing Berri to the rest of the house - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Introducing Berri to the rest of the house

We live in a town house and for the most part Berri has her crate in the kitchen which is also gated. When we are around she has freee reign of the kitchen and back yard and 8/10 she asks to go out for toilet. THe other 2/10 I think she just doesn't want to go out in the wet/cold.

Occaissionally we have let her upstairs to the living room and long term when we are around we want her to be a fully integrated member of the family. However, we have had mixed results. Most of the time she will pee and poop anywhere upstairs which has the effect of us restricting her access.

How have other people integrated their pups? Should we wait until she is reliably toilet trained? Keep working on letting her up for very short periods? Or is it a case of waiting until she is grown (shes about 20 weeks now).

Would be very interested in hearing how you all integrated your pups/dogs into everyday family life (if you have).

Old 01-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Introducing Berri to the rest of the house

Hi, Brynn is now 17 weeks and has been integrated into our living area since we got him. We now keep his crate in our living room and he has access to our downstairs. I don't allow him upstairs so the only time he is alone is when we go to bed.
Maybe you could try putting your dog's crate in your living room. We have 2 young children and shut Brynn in his crate when we are eating and if he gets over excited while the children are playing other than that we leave his crate open. It has been a number of weeks now since he had an accident in the house and to be honest I'd be shocked if he did now.
I would certainly try moving the crate upstairs so Berri sees it as her living area too, maybe that will help

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
JaakeTod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Cassie is a year old and this is our main goal right now which is to integrate into rooms of the house. We have a large dining room that is penned with her crate inside plus she has free access to a large penned patio. I've "puppy-proofed" other rooms and allow her to walk around with me while she drags her leash-this way she thinks she is being controlled-. when I notice she circles around I walk with her to the door and tell her "peepee outside" and she will go out to the patio and pee and then I praise her. I would like her to think of going from other rooms to go outside-it's a work in progress. At least she isn't doing zoomies in the house anymore.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement