Help with my Bagel Boy. Yes that is bagel. - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help with my Bagel Boy. Yes that is bagel.

Hello everyone,
I come to you with much needed help. First off I have had dogs all my life. Animals run free throughout the house. Slightly resembles Ace Ventura's house. I just took in a 5 year old beagle named Chance. He needed a home because his previous owner wanted nothing to do with him. I often wondered that until now. He is a huge handful. I love him to death. He is my bagel boy, and he is my little buddy. He is constantly vomiting. I portion his food to the best I can. I monitor his water as well. If he gets too much of either. Its like Exorcist. Up to 3 times after every meal. The vet says he is fine. I did notice him running away immediately after vomiting, as to cowar in the corner. I try to stay chill and not yell to scare him. So far I have read they get nervous easy. Also he is very VERY stubborn. He is my bagel. Im not his human. He cant seem to learn this. I had hear about certain types of collars that can help keep them in check. I have heard both the good and the bad. I dont want to train him with fear, but isnt it something when every dog on the box is a beagle? If your an activist or something I dont want to hear it. I just want help fixing this dog that obviously has 6 years of bad habits from his previous owner. He doesnt have a dangerous bone in his body. He is my bud. Just please help. Thanks
Rtpsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 11:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

First his food...What are you feeding him? Is he eating his food too fast? Most beagles seem to inhale their food. If so, try hand feeding him. I put my pups' bowl on the floor, make him watch me, and just drop a little food in his bowl at a time. If he is gulping down water, tell him easy and remove the water before he drinks too much.

What other issues is he having that you need to change? Yes beagles can be stubborn, but add to his situation that until now, no one has bothered to teach him anything. Beagles can learn. It takes time and patience. You need to build a bond with him. If he runs away after he vomits to cower in a corner, it's a pretty good bet he was punished for vomiting. At the least, someone expressed frustration with him, which caused him to be fearful. That is a shame. You want him to know that it is OK. He didn't get sick on purpose. I would just clean it up and ignore him. Act like nothing happened.

There are many training tools and they are helpful when used properly for the right dogs. Every tool does not work for every dog. Tools used incorrectly are not only dangerous, but can make issues much worse. For instance, I used a prong collar on my dog aggressive German Shepherd Dog. It worked for her. It was fitted and used properly and she responded to it. A prong collar will not work for every dog aggressive dog. A prong can ramp up the dog and cause him to redirect and bite his handler. Shock collars work for some dogs, when used properly for specific training. In the wrong hands a shock collar can ruin a dog.

I'm not sure what type of training device you are thinking of using. Before I would do anything extreme, I would work on the trust issue with your boy. Any harsh treatment will ruin your relationship. Beagles are generally very food motivated. Treats are a huge help in training a beagle. Obedience training is probably the number one aid in fixing issues. The more you work obedience, the more those issues will disappear. It would be great if you could get him into a beginning obedience class.

I am going to post again and give you a link to something called Mind Games. It is a great tool for working with your dog who may have issues. My pup is a shelter dog. He also has a few issues. Mind Games has helped immensely. We do mind games every day, plus two training sessions. Session are only 5 or 10 minutes. We go through everything he has learned.

He sounds like a very sweet boy, who has had rough life. Thank you for taking on the challenge. Love and patience work wonders.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mind Games (version 1.0) by M. Shirley Chong

This is Mind Games. Try to follow the steps. I have the pup do the 30 minutes leashed by my side. I don't make him down, because that isn't his best command. He eventually lies down on his own. This teaches the dog to relax. The first few time, he might not get it, but very soon, he understands and starts to chill.

Good luck with him. Please post some more specific problems that people may be able to offer advice.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Rtpsworld,
I'm definitively not a activist just a fellow beagle owner who happens to be hopelessly addicted to the breed. I have used both invisible fence and remote dog training collars. The remote training collars have their purpose. From what you've written I don't think I'd use a remote training collar. Ask yourself what do you think you will be training the dog? Each time I vomit I get disciplined? I have two beagles that have tummy issues if they gobble their food down. Wrinkles would vomit thirty seconds later after eating every feeding. I'm with Natty Boh and I think you need to slow him down when he is eating. I have used the hand feeding with other beagles but with Wrinkles she slobbers so much because she was so excited that the anticipation of food made her sick. I use two different treat toys filled with her meal to feed her. It can take her a half hour to eat her meal. She hasn't vomited once since I started using them. It's a game for her. She loves them. I'll post a link at the bottom to the toys I use for my pack. I would love if you posted again. I always worry when I think someone becomes frustrated with their beagle. Don't think you are alone nor that anyone will judge you .You are looking for answers because you want to help your buddy. If it helps you are welcome to PM me or I'm sure Natty Boh would be also happy to help out.

The Bob o lot..
Amazon Amazon

Kong Genius Leo http://www.petexpertise.com/dog-toys...uzzle-toy.html

Nina Ottosson. http://www.nina-ottosson.com/
I have the Dogfighter,the tornado and dogbrick wood toys and she loves them. I alternate so it keeps her stimulated and so she never gets used to one. Although with the bob o lot it can be tailored to dispense food very slowly. You can find the Bob o lot at most big chain pet stores(Pet Supplies Plus is where I bought mine). The Leo is my favorite as she is forced to think about how to get her food out.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

First off, the vomiting. be sure he slows down when he eats, inhaling food can cause them to vomit. You can even put a ball in the food so he has to eat around it. Add some water and canned veggies and stir it well. If he vomits, pick up his water bowl. The rule of thumb is for vomiting pick up the water, for diarrhea leave it down.

I assume you are talking about training collars for control when you walk him. I use a prong collar for Vazzle, its the only thing that works. One quick correction and it gets her under control. There are also special harnesses but that did not work for Vazzle. She is part bassett and is VERY stubborn and strong.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

As others have stated obedience training would be a wonderful thing to start. It will help with bonding and if you do have issues or behaviors that you are concerned about there are instructors who will gladly help you. I have taken dogs as old as thirteen to obedience so age is irrelevant. Any questions feel free to ask.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

The first thing you have to do is get him to do is get him to trust you and be used to your company. Some of that vomiting may be due to fear. You might want to try keeping him leashed to you (do not let him get more than 6 feet away at the most, but no forced physical contact). When he learns that when he is with you he is not getting hit/kicked/screamed at, he will become more confident and more willing to accept you.

Calmness helps. Dogs are very good at reading mood - people are often unaware of non-verbal behavior that letsdogs know what you're are really feeling.

I would hand feed him - it will help you control the speed at which he eats, and may help to develop a bond.

You may want to put no more that 1 half cup of water in his bowl at a time. If he empties the bowl, wait five minutes and then put more in.

He may be bolting food/water either because he often went without, or because he is used to having them taken away from him.

Call your local beagle rescue group, and ask them to recommend a professional trainer to help you work with your dog. Rescue groups often get dogs with these sorts of issues, and they know how to help.

Good luck - and thank you for adopting him. It will take time, work, and patience, but it will be more than worth it.
ljas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for the help. I have talked to some trainers even before I posted the first message. This little dude is going to be in school. I have tried some of the things everyone has mentioned, and wow. Things are changing. Since the day I adopted him, he is a fixture to my side for the most part. As I type he is behind me, burrowing under my blankets on my freshly made bed. Loves the fresh blankets. Hes my bud. No way is he going anywhere. There are times when I think "man this guy is a real pain in the butt". Then I see the puppy beagle pictures, and I know that pup is in this dog. Patience Patience Patience is the key I guess. Billjack treats are also key. Well for him at least. Thanks again everyone for the feed back and kind words. From the Bagel boy and I, thanks.
Rtpsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

AW! Is that him in your avatar? How adorable. You know, those pain in the butt dogs tend to be the ones we love the most. They are worth it. Thank you for loving him and giving him the chance to shine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement