Aggression towards other dogs - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Aggression towards other dogs

Hi, I've adopted a beagle mix pup on Thursday and he's great! I've named him Rosco and we are getting along famously.

He does nip at my feet, I can always find my slippers, or shoes, pulls on my pants with his teeth, bites a little. This is fine, he's a puppy and judging by what I've read this is normal behaviour.

However I do have a more serious problem. Today Rosco met two other dogs while walking him. The first was a little french bulldog puppy who was very curious. Rosco was shy and hid between my legs while the other dog was sniffing him. Out of nowhere my dog snapped at him and growled.

The other dog we met was a full grown pitbull/lab mix off his leash. Rosco did the same thing. Snapped at him and growled.

This behaviour makes me a little nervous. I need to curb it otherwise he will find himself in trouble. How do I deal with this?
Panos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Sounds like you need to socialize him more. Get him around the same dogs so he can get to know them
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

He only reacted like that because he was scared and unfamiliar with the situation. I find I repeat myself but take him to obedience classes. This will soon solve any issues you have, other than that just make any experience he has with other dogs is a happy one

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
JaakeTod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaakeTod View Post
He only reacted like that because he was scared and unfamiliar with the situation. I find I repeat myself but take him to obedience classes. This will soon solve any issues you have, other than that just make any experience he has with other dogs is a happy one

Make sure if you do take him to obedience classes you inform the instructor of your issues. Lots of times they can help you figure things out. Not to mention if you have a dog that has issues you really need to let the instructor know so that they can take the appropriate steps to ensure the safety of other dogs in your class.

Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

How old is Rosco? Any idea what he is mixed with? Did he come from a shelter? If so, do you know if he was housed with other dogs? He could have had a bad experience with another dog that frightened him, or he could just be a weak-nerved dog. Because he is a pup, he should be young enough to at least recondition him. He may be a dog that never loves other dogs, but may be able to tolerate, or ignore them. If this was my pup, I would seek a behaviorist to evaluate him. Where are you located? Perhaps someone would know of a behaviorist near you that they could recommend. If not, you could contact a local rescue or shelter to see if they could recommend someone. You want someone with experience in dealing with dog aggression.

In the meantime, do you know anyone who has a rock solid dog, who may be willing to help you? I would work on desensitizing your pup to other dogs. Never pet or comfort him, when he is acting fearful. Respect his threshold. You cannot just push him into meeting other dogs. I would have the person with the rock solid dog walk on the other side of the street. If your dog reacts, distract and redirect. LAT (Look at that!) works well. Have your dog focus on you. Have him face you, while the other dog passes. Keep the dogs at a distance. Note at what point your dog starts to become uncomfortable. Stay calm. Do not allow yourself to become fearful of what "may" happen. Your dog will immediately pick up on that.

I spent the past 12.5 years with a dog aggressive German Shepherd. I adopted her at age 2 from a shelter. She was wonderful in every other way. She loved people - especially children. She just hated other dogs. In all the years I owned her, she never hurt another dog, because I never allowed that to happen. It can be managed. My shepherd walked with a prong collar and a muzzle. I am not suggesting you use a prong collar. It was the right tool for my dog, but may not be for yours. In some cases, the prong can ramp up a reactive dog and the dog redirects and bites the owner. That is why I suggest a behaviorist.

My German Shepherd eventually learned to ignore other dogs. She even had a few doggie friends in her senior years. Dog Aggression is not the end of the world. Your dog is probably never going to be a dog park dog. (I'm not a fan of those anyway.) Dogs don't really need dog friends. That is why they have us. We are their pack. Accept him for who he is and don't put him in situations where he will fail.

Best of luck to you!
Jan
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Training Classes for Aggressive Dogs - Whole Dog Journal Article
Prevention is Kinder then Destruction. Spay and Neuter. BE EDUCATED. If you breed, breed RESPONSIBLY 8,109 homeless beagles on Petfinder right now. Why are their breeders not stepping up? http://www.wonderpuppy.net/1breeding.php
Research, All I can do is open new doors for you to explore. Act and buy responsibly, your choice is the future of the breed. http://www.learntobreed.com/

New Vaccine standards! Miss Bones 2002-2010
brandypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

I read this wonderful article about fear aggression. Please take the time and read this.

http://www.petmd.com/blogs/purelypup...n#.URAkmRG9KSM

Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement