Easy Walk Harness - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Easy Walk Harness

We've had to stop using it. It's rubbed the hair away under one armpit.
We've had to go back to using the Gentle Leader. Rascal absolutely hates it. If I could run with her, I wouldn't need it and I don't think she will stop pulling anytime soon
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Amazing the strength they have when pulling on the leash. I haven't tried this outside yet only in the house and it seemed to work...
this us the visual concept for dog and handler (saw it in mind games by shirley Chung):

PULLING
Dog
l (leash)
l
l
l
l
l (handler)

NOT PULLING
Dog
>>>l
>>>>l
>>>>>l
>>>>>>l
>>>>>>>l
>>>>>>>>l
>>>>>>>>>(handler)

In other words keep the dog slightly off from you

Last edited by Cassie; 01-23-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

I sort of walk sideways on my walks now! lol
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well, I started obedience classes last night (orientation.) Natty Boh starts next week. Natty Boh will be getting a prong collar. The prong collar is a class requirement. I am thrilled. I used a prong on my dog aggressive German Shepherd. It is a great tool, when used properly. I can't wait to see how it works on Boh. I will keep y'all posted.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty Boh View Post
Well, I started obedience classes last night (orientation.) Natty Boh starts next week. Natty Boh will be getting a prong collar. The prong collar is a class requirement. I am thrilled. I used a prong on my dog aggressive German Shepherd. It is a great tool, when used properly. I can't wait to see how it works on Boh. I will keep y'all posted.
Why is the prong collar a requirement? I admit I'm not a fan of them but that is a personal preference of course. My club doesn't like or want them around. So I'm curious as to why the requirement.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Better control. It's on the class supply list. Having used a prong for the past 13 years, I am a fan. It was invaluable in controlling my DA dog. Trying to hold back a 60-70 pound shepherd that wanted to eat another dog wasn't going to happen. The prong never hurt her. She did respect it.

Natty Boh is not a full beagle. Perhaps it would make a difference, if he was. He has a huge JRT personality. He is not at all biddable and is not an easy, eager to please kind of dog. In my opinion, a well fitted properly used prong is preferable to constant yanking on a flat collar or harness.

And why don't you like them? LOL!
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

We use a prong-type collar for Vazzle. We tried every harness out there and nothing worked for her and she is VERY strong. My father-in-law raised beagles for years and he gave us one to try. It works like a charm. I tried it on my own arm and it does not hurt. It mimics the correction a mother dog would do basically. Now we can take her anywhere. Our trainer is fine with it and I know she would never hold back if she didn't like something, she works with rescue animals.

As for Molly, we tried the Easy walk and she hated it, it just never worked. So I got her the new style fabric ones that go under the chest, she walks much better on it and chokes less since there is no pulling.
Attached Thumbnails
Easy Walk Harness-molly-car.jpg  
Old 01-23-2013, 06:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

After watching a young lady really over do it with one on her shepherd I just am not a fan. Oh yes I realize that she was the exception and in the right hands of a good owner they are a good tool. I just can't do it. As I said personal preference and I didn't mean offense if you took it that way. Trust me I understand DA dogs. Sadly I definitely understand !!!!!

Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
Old 01-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Mollysmom
I could just snuggle with that beagle of yours !! I love the gray muzzle.

Peanuts
Snoopy
Old 01-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Oh, so happy to hear about the prong! I'm using a chain choke collar. My dog trainer HATES it so I hide it from her. I have much less control otherwise. With the choke, I can guide him. Shhh, don't tell...
jenhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement