Where to keep Badugi while we are at work? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 04:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Lightbulb Where to keep Badugi while we are at work?

Hi Badugi turned out to be a boingle.
Beegle with English Pointer...scary fact that I learned yesterday is that he will be way above 20 kilos when he is full grown.
As he is just a 6 month old dog...(the Vet said he should be 5-6 month old...and as we do not know his history, we just decided to consider him 6 month old.), I have set his crate in the house at one corner of living room.
Now we need to housebreak him so he can go around freely in the house.

Among the thousands of questions I have right now, the first thing I should resolve is, where shall we keep him while we are at work!

We feed him once in the morning around 6:00 then take him for a walk (pee & poop) for 40 minutes. Then all the family members are out of house around 7:15.
Then my husband and kid are back home around 4:00 pm then shortly after I will arrive. So he is by himself for a long- long time.
Considering his age, I do not think he can hold his pee and poop for that long…right?Or can he??

Shall I leave him in the crate while we are gone? Or shall I leave him in the back yard? (Fenced..so he cannot get out. Not huge but has room for him to run around. Also he has my baby boy’s house for shade…. Our out-door furniture to destroy..door mat to play with (which he already is chewing…), car toys for my baby boy which he did not do any damage yet) I am planning on getting Badugi a outdoor dog house for the back yard. If we were to leave him there while we are at work as my baby boy is upset that Badugi is using his house.

The problem with leaving him at the backyard is that he pees and poops everywhere in the backyard while we are away…. For a temporary solution, yesterday we got the potty mat and placed at the corner of the backyard hoping that he will not pee and poop everywhere. (We will see the result when we go home today….)

Back to our crazy schedule!
So after 4, we take him for a walk again for about 30 mins. Yesterday, I fed him around 8:30 then took him for a walk for about 1 and 30 minutes….as it took him a while to poop. He peed 3 times and pooped 3 times…(I am planning on feeding him a bit earlier today….)

Then my husband took him for a walk again around 11:30. He peed and pooped again. Then today morning we started at 5:30. I took him for a walk for 30 mins. One pee and one poop. Then he ate at 6. Then followed another walk for 40 mins.

He did not have any accidents in the crate yet…shall we keep this crazy Badugi oriented schedule? Or can we relax a bit and leave him in the crate after his night walk till 5:30 in the morning?
Badugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 05:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Where to keep Badugi while we are at work?

If I go out anyway for any length of time I put Brynn in his crate. I put him in at night at 10pm and let him out about 7am and never have an accident. Brynn is only just 4 months old so he shouldn't have a problem with hi bladder.
Your biggest problem will be boredom. Fortunately my wife is at home in the day so we don't often have him locked in his crate in the day. Beagles need a lot of attention but if you want your house in one piece I'd certainly put him in the crate when you are out lol

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
JaakeTod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have noticed...he behaves in front of us. But he did quite a lot of damage while we were away at the back yard. He got all of my laundry clips and the box they were in and totally destroyed the box and several clips and put some clips in his house (my baby boy’s house)..he bit and ripped the plastic cover we placed in the house. He found one of my baskets and played with it then saved it in the house…. He found two door mats that were at the back yard…one is not usable anymore and the other one probably will not be usable after today….all these done in 1 day. I cannot wait to go find out what damage he has done for today.

I would like to keep him in the crate..but I do not want him to be bored…

Any good dog toys to leave outside with him in the backyard that you can suggest??
Badugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default Where to keep Badugi while we are at work?

I think crating a dog over night is fine but then to do it all day is excessive and not fair on the dog ( just my opinion ). If you could get someone to pop back in the day to see him or ask a friend or family member to have him in the day I feel that would make a huge difference to him. A beagle is not the ideal breed to be left alone all day.
I have a number of toys for Brynn including various chew ones and some soft ones. The best thing to do is give him a couple at a time and rotate them often, this helps stop him getting bored so easily and the joy when you give him one of his favourite is fantastic

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
JaakeTod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

if my girlfriend works, yogi is in his crate from 7:30 - 4:30 during the day which sucks but its better than being in that shelter. We have his bed, blanket, water, and toys in there. I walk him before i leave for work and when i get home, go work out, then do some training/fun stuff. If it werent so cold wed go to the dog park (which we try to do anyway once a week but hes been sick lately). So, I'd say hes left alone all day only 3 days a week at most, usually 2. He does fine in there. I would highly recommend crating during the day, my beagle loves to chew!
silent mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

Do you have a doggy daycare there? At 6 months he shouldn't be spending that much time alone.
techie

Last edited by techie; 01-23-2013 at 10:57 AM. Reason: added ?
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

when your dog is not in the crate I recommend an area that you can enclose with doors or pen so he doesn't destroy your things.
Personally I can't imagine crating a dog all day, my Dog would go bonkers. If I'm away for any length of time she goes to doggie camp. I didn't get my dog until I stopped working but believe me she is a FULL TIME JOB!

If your dog is large make sure you get a crate large enough as they grow fast.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Many people work full time and crate their dog over night and during work hours. If you could at least have someone come in the middle of the day to take Badugi out, that would be helpful.

Always remember that a tired puppy is a good puppy. I was constantly hearing about flirt poles and meant to make one, but never got around to it. I finally made one this weekend. Natty Boh LOVES it. It is great for exercising, as well as training. I used a horse lunge whip as the pole. You can use anything that is flexible. I tied a fuzzy toy to the end. Boh quickly destroyed that and now there is a sock tied to the end. You can even tie an old rag on there. Stand in the center and use the pole to move the toy in a circle - along the ground and up in the air. Teach your pup to release when you say so. Teach him to wait, until you say he can play. Playing with the flirt pole is the first time I have ever seen Boh really tired - tongue hanging out, panting, tired. Ten minutes of flirt pole time is supposed to be equal to an hour of walking.

I know flirt poles have been mentioned here in the past. I thought they were worth mentioning again. You can even make a shorter one and play in the house. And the best part is that very little is required of us. LOL!
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

We tried that. In the house! Not a good idea lol. I intermediately knocked something off the top and BOTH of us froze! Rascal was looking at me as though saying 'we're in trouble now!'
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie View Post
We tried that. In the house! Not a good idea lol. I intermediately knocked something off the top and BOTH of us froze! Rascal was looking at me as though saying 'we're in trouble now!'
techie
LOL! We play flirt pole in the house all the time. I don't think we have broken anything yet. Give us time.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement