Badugi has diarrhea problem & treats? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 07:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Arrow Badugi has diarrhea problem & treats?

Hi all,

We took Badugi (abandoned..so we decided to give him home last Sunday) to a vet. He is just 5-6 months old based on his teeth. He is suffering from diarrhea. Also we are suffering with unpleasant cleaning day and night. We got him special kibbles for diarrhea. As I am hoping to let him come to inside of the house as well, (he is currently staying at the back yard. It is winter in Cyprus (which menas 6-7 deggrees at night and around 20 for day time) but I am guessing that during summer he will suffer too much (above 35 degrees...).we need to start on our housebreaking ASAP. Is there any specific treat that will not bother his tummy yet he will love so much it will help us to train him?

Also could you give us some suggestion on treats? Shall we just buy a commercial made ones and see which one he likes the most?

FYI, he turned out to be not a full beagle. Also I realized that he is big for a beagle of his age. He should be about 50 cm long. I will measure him today after he comes back from his full bathing.
Badugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 07:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Poor guy, he is lucky you took him in! You can try giving him hamburger and rice or chicken and rice to help with the diarrhea. If it is really bad, you may want to ask the vet if its okay to give him some Immodium or something. Make sure he has plenty of water to stay hydrated.

As for treats, I prefer the dry cookie type as opposed to the meaty chew type. You can also use tiny bits of chicken or liver for a really good training treat.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you Molly's Mom.

I probaly will try chicken and rice tomorrow night... I am guessing that his breakfast will be kibbles all the time. As I know I wont have time to cook for him. I usually boil rice with other grains in them for ourselves. Do you think that will bother Badugi's tummy? I put, white rice, brown rice, Quinoa, orange colored splitted lentles in our boiled/steamed rice. Anything that he should not eat?? (Oh gosh...we have so much to learn about dogs now...!)
Old 01-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default Badugi has diarrhea problem & treats?

Pumpkin cures diarrhea as well, I normally add a Tbsp to Winston's food twice a day till its gone. Just make sure to get pure pumpkin, not pumpkin pie mix.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Winston2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default Badugi has diarrhea problem & treats?

http://simmertilldone.com/2009/10/07...pumpkin-eater/. I've made these as well if you like to bake

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Winston2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

The rice is good to bulk up the stool but I think lentles will give the dog gas. Make sure the dog isn't suffering from some intestinal parasite like giardia, check with a vet. Stay away from rawhide chews
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

So weird. I posted a reply, but it isn't here. Me and my computer skills. HA!

I wanted to ask you if Badugi had been de-wormed. Parasites can cause diarrhea. If he was given a de-wormer, he will likely have diarrhea, while getting rid of the worms. I would stay away from treats for now and keep him on a bland diet. I boil chicken and brown rice. I found a store brand brown rice that comes in cooking bags. Boil the bag for 10 minutes - so easy. I hope Badugi is feeling better soon.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

Winston2012, I will try to get a pumpkin and give him some...then make the rest to punmpkin soup for ourselves. Thanks for the tip.

Cassie, what is the reason Badugi should stay away from rawhide chews? Or shall we stay away from Badugi's rawhide chews cause it might have his worms?? Sorry if the question sounds silly. First time dog owner..;-) FYI, Badugi does not have a rawhide chew....He has our door mat to chew though.... (he was chewing them in the moring...) :-(

Nattty Boh, Badugi had a pill from the vet for deworming on Monday. Maybe that is why he is keep on having diarrhea? How long does it take for the whole deworming process??
Old 01-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

Did your vet determine the type of worm, or worms that Badugi has? De-worming is generally done more than once. On young puppies, it is done every few weeks. Did the vet say Badugi will have to be de-wormed again? I really am not sure how long the diarrhea might last. I do think it is probably due to the worms. Either way, the bland diet should help. As Winston said - the pumpkin is very good too.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Natty Boh, My vet said no rawhide chews because the dogs can swallow large chunks when softened which could block the intestines. My husband bought one and i went along since he was proud he bought the chew and Cassie bit off pieces in no time. Im sticking with antlers, nyla bones, and marrow bones ( cook these myself).

P.S. regarding your posts that disappear...before you start again try clicking on the left arrow just above which may bring back your message. Could be your accidently deleting..

Last edited by Cassie; 01-23-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement