Chronic Ear Infections..congestion....HELP! - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Chronic Ear Infections..congestion....HELP!

I stumbled across this site while searching the internet and I am thrilled to have found it. Sorry my post is SO LONG!

We have 2 beagles, one is 9 and the other 4. The 9 year old has had numerous ear infections over the past couple years (7 or 8 I think) and the 4 year old has had (3) over just this past year.

Each time we go to the vet and spend lots of $$ to get meds and a few weeks/months after we are right back. Yes, I do clean out their ears!

It clicked with me that it might be food related in December as yet the 9 year old had another one. They did a full blood work up at that time because she was congested also and everything was normal. She does take thryoid medicine but has well before the ear infections started. She has been on Hill's Science Diet R/D for the past couple years and we just started giving our other one the R/D this past year and now he gets ear infections too!!!

I asked the vet and she agreed that it definitely could be food related and suggested we try Z/D Science Diet. I told her I'd wait until after the first of year to decide. I wanted to try some "grain free" on my own first. So, fast forward, we tried Taste of Wild for a few weeks (the 4 year old wouldn't eat very well) so we switched to Wellness Core - they both ate it much better but guess what...the 9 year old has YET another ear infection!!!!!

I am so frustrated and I am trying the Monistat at home first as I don't want her to keep taking the steroids and I just spent $500 at vet last month!!!

Any suggestions? Ideas, or comments will be greatly appreciated!!
abba1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

What are you cleaning the ears with?
Monistat is for treating yeast.

My vet prescribed Tresaderm, an antibiotic, which clears up the ears really quick. After the first treatment I had more in the little bottle and when I see bright rosey pink I put in a couple of drops in each ear and the ears look great in one day and I don't have to make a trip to the vet.
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Oops - forgot to say all of the ear infections they both have had are "yeast" when they test it. I read on-line to try using Monistat on the ear since it is used for yeast infections.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have used with great success Zymox ear cleaner and Zymox otic enzymatic with hydrocortisone if something is brewing in their ears. Several members of my pack need routine cleaning to keep things in check. I've often threatened my beagle Belle to use a clothes pin to keep her ears open. I don't think she believes me.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks. I just ordered some Zymox otic enzymatic with hydrocortisone. It did have great reviews off Amazon. Hoping it will work for her. Like I said above it so pricey to keep taking to vet and getting same meds only to have it happen over and over.

Does anyone have any food recommendations? Has anyone else had problems with Science Diet foods and ear infections/allergies? Are grains usually the problem?
Old 01-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

We think Rascal is allergic to Science Diet and have switched her over to Costco Sweet potato and salmon.
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

I received the Zymox otic enzymatic with hydrocortisone and have used it the last 2 days. She doesn't seem to be digging at ears as much but they are still pretty pink looking. How long did you have to use before you noticed a difference in the skin color and could really tell they were clearing up?

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abba1102 View Post
I received the Zymox otic enzymatic with hydrocortisone and have used it the last 2 days. She doesn't seem to be digging at ears as much but they are still pretty pink looking. How long did you have to use before you noticed a difference in the skin color and could really tell they were clearing up?

Thanks!
I general use a gentle ear cleaner(zymox) then later that day put some of the zymox otic in. I have two beagles that I do this to at least once a week as they have chronic ear issues. Occasionally somebody else gets an infection and I'll use the cleaner then the otic for a week or so. I constantly monitor their ears. Use a cotton ball to wipe inside and get rid of excess.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Watch the foods
easy on the vaccinations

DogAware.com Health: Ear Infections in Dogs
Prevention is Kinder then Destruction. Spay and Neuter. BE EDUCATED. If you breed, breed RESPONSIBLY 8,109 homeless beagles on Petfinder right now. Why are their breeders not stepping up? http://www.wonderpuppy.net/1breeding.php
Research, All I can do is open new doors for you to explore. Act and buy responsibly, your choice is the future of the breed. http://www.learntobreed.com/

New Vaccine standards! Miss Bones 2002-2010
brandypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement