Just adopted an abandoned beagle. - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 03:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Lightbulb Just adopted an abandoned beagle.

Hi all!
I need some help! as I just adopted an abandoned beagle. Somebody abandoned this cutie around our neighbourhood and several of our neighbours (including us) have been feeding him then we decided to take him as our family member. (As people were talking about taking him to the shelter or give the municipality a call...that meant that he will be killed..)
We have a backyard that has a closing door. So for last night we kept him there. We are taking him to a vet and dog spa today. So we have no clue how old he is at this point. Others with more dog experience confirmed that he still should be young as he cannot pee with his leg up. He is a boy and has beagle in him…or a full beagle…that much we know.
I wanted to ask, what are the things that we need to get for this new fellow to get comfortable and stay healthy at our house. Also we want to get the right collar for him so he will feel comfy and we can have a good grip over him while we take him for a walk. (My husband walked him last night and today morning still he could manage without any collar or leash…he came back following him and walked into our backyard.)
We have a 3 year old boy as well. And so far, it seems like beagle is not threatening him. Badugi (the beagle’s name) is being very playful (and of course been pooping at my backyard. I am guessing that potty training should be done over the time.)
I am thinking that we need a good collar, leash, comb and a house for him. (he slept in my baby boy’s play house last night and my baby boy was upset about it….) We gave him one old blanket but he seems to not fancy it at all….Shall we also get him a chew toy? Also what are the things that we should consider when we choose all these things for our new family member?
Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge on beagle. J
Badugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 07:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thank you for giving him a home! I hope he checks out okay at the vet. Be sure to get ID tags for him since he is new to your home, if he gets away and gets lost someone can bring him home for you. It sounds like he will be staying outside? I don't know your climate but be sure his dog house can keep him warm/cool enough. A sturdy food and water bowl will be needed also.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

I got my beagle 2 weeks ago and this is what I bought for him: Leash, collar, dog crate, dog bed, eukanuba food for puppys ( read the amount per day ), old soft toys I had, and im buying a puppy kong its a great toy for puppys keeps them entertained for a long time, one water and one food bowl, figure when he poops will help you take him outside at that time, train him to pee in one spot, read on this website about crate trainning it helps with separation anxiety also read about bite inhibition ( if you have to ), I'd take him to a vet first, it's also my first dog :P other people will help you more
JohnyPepperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

Congrats on Badugi! He sounds very loving. I'm impressed he followed your husband with no leash!
I also have a rescue that I adopted two months ago. He lives in our house so we've been working on house breaking and bonding. I srtuggle to get his attention when I call his (new) name. That's something you may want to work on right away. Reward him when he responds. Treats of some kind are a must for training. My dog responds best to cooked chicken or cheese.
Good luck and keep posting!
Oh, and we need photos of your new guy, for sure!
jenhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks all for your kind words.
We took him to a vet yesterday. We found out that he is a mix of beagle and something else...he was not sure...I will take a picture of him today and post here. (as he is going to a dog spa to day for a good through clean up.) I am sure that all of you can tell me what he exactly is.
Oh, the doctor told me that he should be just 5-6 months old....He did not have a chip (we live in Cyprus. The dogs here are suppsed to be registered and have a cip implented....)
It seems like he is big for a 5-6 month old full beagle. So I am guessing one of his parent is a bigger dog than beagle.

Thanks all!!
Badugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

I was going to ask you, if dogs are microchipped in your country. Awesome that Badug will be microchipped. It is the best way to get your pup back, if he is lost. My dog has a collar with his name and our phone number, but he is also microchipped. I do not keep his collar on him, in the house. Even if the collars are kept on, they can slip off. Microchips are great.

If at all possible, please take the pup into your home to live. It is the best way to acclimate him to your family and to train him. You will need a crate to keep him safe and out of trouble, when you can't watch him. He will need to be housebroken. The crate will help with that. Do not allow him to have free reign of your house. Puppies can be destructive. Give him lots of toys and things he can chew.

You will need a crate, leash, collar, two stainless steel bowls. I use old towels and inexpensive fleece blankets in the crate. No dog bed. My pup destroyed his. I do not allow anything in his crate that he will pull the stuffing out of and potentially eat. I do not know what foods are available to you, but feed the best quality food you can afford. Vets and pet store often push certain foods, because they sell them and get a bonus for pushing them. They are not always the best foods. There is a thread in the Health and Wellness section with links to dog foods. You should check it out. I feed Wellness Core Puppy and will be switching to Wellness Core adult. Better food = better health, which = less vet bills down the road.

Thank you for taking in this pup. I can't wait to see pictures!
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

this makes me want another one and ive only had yogi for 2 months lol
silent mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement