Separation anxiety causing sickness? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Separation anxiety causing sickness?

I made a post (1-16-13: Lena Is Depressed) in which I described the events that led to Lena being alone. She has been very good. I've taken her to work with me everyday (a new thing for her) and the distraction and extra activity has been very helpful...although it's only been 4 days so far.

Last night she threw up after dinner, and again at 4:00 am as well as again at 7:30 am. She's drinking water, but has no appetite. I've got a call in to her vet, but in the meantime I thought I'd post here. I'm curious if the separation anxiety is now affecting her. This vomiting may be completely unrelated, but still, I have to wonder since she's going through significant loss.

Has anyone here experienced their beagle being physically ill from emotional devastation? If so, was it a delayed reaction or did it happen right away?

Thanks,
Scott
Ribno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Scott, I don't think it is related. I wouldn't call this separation anxiety. I would call it depression. While she misses having that time with her brother, you shouldn't put human emotions on it. If she could spend time with some other dog, I think she would be just as happy. I had two guinea pigs. One died. The other was very depressed. His appetite was off. I took in a rescue guinea pig and put her in a cage next to his. He was happy as a clam. It wasn't the "specific" loss of the other guinea pig. It was the "being without" any other guinea pig. I would set up some play dates for Lena.

Depression may cause loss of appetite, but I would not expect it to cause vomiting.

Hope Lena is feeling better soon. She is adorable. Please let us know what the vet says.
Jan
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I agree with Natty, I think that Lena is depressed and confused about the loss of her freind, but it is not separation anxiety. That would result in different behavior. If she is vomiting, limit the amount of water she gets. Right after she gets sick, pick up her water bowl for a bit. If she drinks water it will most likely make her sick again. I would call the vet just to ask them what they think.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the caring & response! Well, I called her vet. He thinks it's just gastrointestinitis (a tummy ache) probably from drinking some dirty, algae-infested water that was in the back yard (and I've since eliminated!). He said to give her a bland diet for 24-48 hrs consisting of about a tablespoon of rice & fat-free cottage cheese in 1-2 hr increments to see if she can keep it down. So far she has eaten it and her energy is coming back. Will keep you posted.
Ribno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Oh good, that sounds like an easy fix. Hope she is all better now
Old 01-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Aw, Hope she continues to feel better. Please keep us posted.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement