Toilet training. - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question Toilet training.

Hey, My Harvey, 10 week old beagle seems to have got to grips with using his training mats for a number2, but doesnt seem to aknowledge that he is too pee on them too.

I try all the time to persuade him to use his mat, he just ignores me (most of the time). Although he does sometimes use his mats to pee on, he seems to go as and when he feels.

Also i have been advised to kick of toilet training outside, and never really train him indise, would be greatfull to hear anyones opinion or advice on this matter.

Thanks guys !
Jamesarowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Have a 5 month old that is housed trained, and not as bad as we thought but consistency and crate training was huge we thought. I would skip the mates, always seemed like it just added a step in the process. We crate trained clu. The moment we took her out of the crate, right outside until she peed and poop. (Sometimes we would have to wait 15 to 20 min) When she did huge praise with treats. When we went back inside we played with her in a confined area and did not let her roam. When she was getting sleepy back in crate and repeat. As she got older and was getting the process we increased the area she could play and she could hold it longer so we would increase the time. At a young age he will not be able to tell you when he has to go, you have to figure it out. With clu at 10 weeks we took her out every hour, hour and a half for pees and about 2 hrs after eating for poops, but you need to figure out Harvey. If clu had an accident in the house it was our fault for not getting her out. Eventually I promise he will get it, but stay consistent and for every pee and poop outside huge praise and treats even on walks. Good luck.
ncox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Toilet training.

I got Brynn at 12 weeks old and only trained him outside. I have him completely house trained in just over a week and after 2 weeks he started to ask to go outside.
The trick is to just constantly put him outside even if he doesn't go and praise him loads when he does.
Eventually you realise when he needs to go. I never trained him to go inside as I just don't see the sense in thatToilet training.-imageuploadedbypg-free1358609159.942559.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
JaakeTod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you are using pee pads don't expect your dog to do both biz on it. It's best to train outside so you don't have to break the inside habit. You can use a clicker to reinforce going where you want the dog to go(click when it goes where you want, praise wildly, and give a treat). I made the mistake of starting inside
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Toilet training.

Thanks for all your tips and advice, starting tomorrow I will be toilet training him outside! Hope it comes together a lot easier as the mats really don't seem to be his things, live and learn, thanks guys I will try and let you know how I get on.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Toilet training.

Had him outside every hour when possible apart from when he's sleeping, and as soon as he's up he's out. Only one or two accidents since Sunday !! Cheers for the advice, he's took to it naturally!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaakeTod View Post
I got Brynn at 12 weeks old and only trained him outside. I have him completely house trained in just over a week and after 2 weeks he started to ask to go outside.
The trick is to just constantly put him outside even if he doesn't go and praise him loads when he does.
Eventually you realise when he needs to go. I never trained him to go inside as I just don't see the sense in thatAttachment 8689

Ditto! I trained Charlie in the same manner. Charlie was a fast learner and the winter weather helped a lot because it made him want to do his business and go back in. He quickly learned that outside was good to go Potty and he was quickly ringing the bells (still does) when he has to "go".

I would suggest not using the pads and get him used to going out to use potty. Repetition is a must though! Take him out as soon as he gets up and before you turn in and any other time in between (after supper and play). He'll get used to it and will eventually want to go outside to Potty.
Charlie's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Ringing the bells?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Dad View Post
Ditto! I trained Charlie in the same manner. Charlie was a fast learner and the winter weather helped a lot because it made him want to do his business and go back in. He quickly learned that outside was good to go Potty and he was quickly ringing the bells (still does) when he has to "go".
Charlie's Dad, do you mean this literally, that you've taught Charlie to ring bells when he wants to go out? I would love to do this with Bella. Can you explain? Thanks!
1BeagleHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BeagleHouse View Post
Charlie's Dad, do you mean this literally, that you've taught Charlie to ring bells when he wants to go out? I would love to do this with Bella. Can you explain? Thanks!
Yes, he literally rings bells to let us know that he has or wants to go out. This is simple to teach because its done using treats as a reward. We used Christmas door bells. Every time he'd bump the bell with his nose we'd give him a treat and open the door. Gradually we reduced the treats and just opened the door for him. Now that he's 2 and think he's smarter than us, he'll ring the bells just for fun or when he sees something outside that he wants to investigate
Charlie's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default Ringing the bells?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Dad View Post
Yes, he literally rings bells to let us know that he has or wants to go out. This is simple to teach because its done using treats as a reward. We used Christmas door bells. Every time he'd bump the bell with his nose we'd give him a treat and open the door. Gradually we reduced the treats and just opened the door for him. Now that he's 2 and think he's smarter than us, he'll ring the bells just for fun or when he sees something outside that he wants to investigate
This is great! Thanks! I'd really like to train Bella to do this. We live on the third floor so some advance notice of her needs would be very much appreciated by those of us who have to find the housekeys, get the shoes on, call the elevator...Now we just need a bell. I was thinking maybe one of those hotel desk-type bells. She could just step on it. Ding ding! Hey, could you get the door, please? Haha!
1BeagleHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement