Baby on the Way! - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 12:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Baby on the Way!

So my beagle is going to be a big sister for the first time to a human baby in August!! Now she is well trained, non-aggressive and good around children. My main concern is her anxiety. She's a very nervous dog when it comes to loud noises, and I'm honestly worried that a newborn baby crying will terrify my poor beagle. Any suggestions? Or suggestions on what to do when bringing home a new baby for the first time? Any advice is appreciated!
aneubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 12:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Try a Sentry Pheromone Calming Collar. They mimic the pheromone that the mother dog produces to calm and reassure her puppies. It helps dogs cope with new and fearful situations and lowers anxiety. You can get them online or at most pet stores and they are pretty cheap. They last for like 60 days so I would put it on your puppy about 5 days before you new.baby comes home good luck and congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

I just want to say, "Congratulations on your soon to be new addition!" That is so exciting. I would expect your pup to be fine. Dogs are really funny on what they seem to understand. I would give her one of the baby's blankets to keep in her crate, so she has baby's scent. Always monitor dogs and babies together, but introduce her to the baby. My dogs always adored the kids - especially babies.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

We've had Brynn around 4 weeks now and he gas already got such a lovely relationship with my 4 year old daughter. There is nothing better than seeing the joy on your children's face as they play with their dog. When she is in bed he sleeps on the bottom of the stairs waiting for herBaby on the Way!-imageuploadedbypg-free1358404884.574419.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
JaakeTod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Love my thundershirt,, and calming tablets from gnc pet at petsmart. Winston is afraid of everything.
Winston2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

It scares them at first but they get over it. When my granddaughter was born, we had two beagles, Bella and Annie. Neither of them had spent any time at all around babies. Bella immediately decided the baby was "hers" (had to be discouraged from licking all over her face) and stationed herself right next to the carseat the baby was sleeping in. She even got aggressive with the cat when he came over to inspect (never has before or since). Annie is shy, and does not deal well with new people or new situations at first. She stayed pretty far away and did that "leaning forward and sniffing" thing (I'm sure you know what I am talking about). When the baby cried, there was pacing and pricked ears and even a little whining, but we made sure to pay plenty of attention to the dogs (this is important, so they don't feel like the baby is competition). Scarlette is almost two years old now, and when she comes over the dogs rejoice! (Now they both have to be discouraged from licking her all over her face). Our two newer dogs, Ruby and Rachel--Ruby accepted her immediately, but we've had Rachel since November and she is just now starting to allow the baby to pet her (poor Rachel lives in a chronic state of terror and everything is scary, including little ones, furniture that has been moved, loud noises. . .)
Hsaiotei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement